• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 steering ?s

redkling

NAXJA Forum User
I have a full width frod d44 that i am planning on putting under my 1995 xj with the 4.0 and 4dr.

I want to do a high steer conversion and wanted to see what kits yall recommend. I will either buy a kit or build it myself. also im going to need some flat top knuckles. let me know what you know.

Thanks

how high is your jeep....im at about 6 inches and with my 44 just OTK was plenty for me. and yes if you want to do high steer you will need flat top knuckles. a lot of chevy knuckles are flat top and already came drilled with studs.

for the steering ballistic fab has a pretty cool deal where you just tell them the measurements and they build it for you for pretty much cost of parts

I do not regret going to high steer one bit, I have 7.5 coils, and a heavy ARB bullbar on front. If you wheel, and if you wheel around rocks, you will definitely want highsteer to get that tie rod out of the way. I'd rather my heavy duty diff cover smash into rocks, then bend the tie rod and save the diff cover.

For high steer, if you will be using coil springs, you will need some long high steer arms, like Parts Mike arms. Otherwise you will not clear the coils, and will have the tie rod interfere.

I have a Ballistic fab steering set up, I bought it unwelded, measured for everything, and then welded it up myself.

Chevy flat tops work, or knuckles from and older Full Size Jeep. Look for Mr. N's D44 articles on google if you didn't already know about it, it has all the information you will need and which years came with the knuckles you will need. Avoid Dodge parts.

Theres a company on Ebay that will sell you a pair of chromoly Knuckles with high steer arms and ball joints installed. Last time I looked it was $500-$600 shipped.

Keep an eye out on pirate. I got my flat tops with sky manufacture high steer arms for a little over $200.

I'm at 5.5" of lift with a hpd44 up front and with OTK steering my draglink is sits pretty flat. If I would've gone with high steer arms I would've had a HELL of a time from keeping my trackbar out of my oil pan or diff housing.

DSC_2518.jpg

don't worry about the draglink and trackbar not being parallel, this is an old picture.

do you have a close up of the passenger knuckle of how the tierod and drag link are mounted
Neither of those set-ups are true "high steer or cross-over"

And do you mind telling me how that picture is not "true high steer?"

Cause it is.

Cant tell from that pic,you may be running flat-tops,but its not crossover.

No its not cross over, but it is high steer with Parts Mike arms.

But true cross over and true high steer are different things.

It's got to be high steer, by how high the tie rod is mounted.
Do you have any issue with the rolling tie rod problem. I'm still trying to work out my steering and I'm thinking about going crossover to avoid the potential problem altogether.
Sorry to hijack.

Hey Begster, is that the TNT truss you've got on there? If so, I take it it's got the high steer track bar mount on it, right?

Back