• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No crank help please!

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
So my buddy has a 92 XJ laredo I6 auto 4x4 that won't even attempt to crank. Battery is good starter is brand spankin new and so is the coil. He had this problem start when he cranked it up one day after work and drove it literally across the street to the gas station, filled up, bought some beer, got in to leave and nothing. So he gave the NSS a good tap with a blunt object because the rare occasion that this has happened he has done this and it cranked right up. He and I both are fully aware of the whole NSS problem and trouble shooting and we did them all. After this he replaced the ignition coil and that did it she fired right up. Then the next day the Jeep gave him the same problem. He replaced the plug wires and cap too while he was at it. Is there anything else that would create a no crank situation?

Starter solenoid(did new starter come with new solenoid)? Could try jumping it straight to the battery. Maybe something in the ignition switch?

First thing to understand is that not cranking is totally different than not starting. Take apart and polish the battery cables, battery posts, starter wires, starter relay wires, and grounds in the engine compartment.

Quick test. Take a big screwdriver and put it across the two posts with wires on the starter. Make sure you are in park or neutral before you do this. If it won't crank it's either your battery, big wire or big wire connections directly to the starter from the battery, or the starter that is bad. If it works this way, but not by the key, things are a little more complicated.

Hallo Jeeper. Look at this diagram:

Try to jumpwire pin#30 and #87 of the starterrelay.
If it cranks, the fuse ,ignitionswitch,relais or NSS are a problem.
But batterycables and grounds are most important. See posts above.:yap:

'92 XJ

I just had something similar happen. when I turned my key I had full acc, but no cranking. bat was good, and it would crank if I jumped the starter to the batt with jumper cables.
I dont really understand all the electrical stuff. so I brought my xj to my mechanic and asked him to make me a button that when pressed works the starter, like it would if I jumped the starter straight off the battery. now I just put my key in the run pos and hit the button.

I just had something similar happen. when I turned my key I had full acc, but no cranking. bat was good, and it would crank if I jumped the starter to the batt with jumper cables.
I dont really understand all the electrical stuff. so I brought my xj to my mechanic and asked him to make me a button that when pressed works the starter, like it would if I jumped the starter straight off the battery. now I just put my key in the run pos and hit the button.

Hope you don't run over anyone. You're bypassing safety stuff. And it's not that hard to fix.

Hope you don't run over anyone. You're bypassing safety stuff. And it's not that hard to fix.

why would I run over anyone. its a five speed and I still have to depress the clutch to start it. so its not like the starter could cause it to lurch forward or any thing. just wondering if im not realizing something.

why would I run over anyone. its a five speed and I still have to depress the clutch to start it. so its not like the starter could cause it to lurch forward or any thing. just wondering if im not realizing something.

Sorry, if you have to depress the clutch, you're still safe. I guess I don't understand. I figured you had the button hooked up straight to the starter. So, you're saying that if you push the button with the car in gear and your foot off the clutch pedal, nothing happens.

yea, It doesnt actually connect the batt to the starter. that was just the simplest way of explaining it. my mechanic asked me if I wanted him to take out the NSS on the clutsh peddle. but I told him to leave it.

the whole setup is pretty sweet, and probably makes my jeep a whole lot more confusing to steal, cause the button is not that obvious.

Back