• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ, no overdrive, AW4

Joschek

NAXJA Forum User
hello :wave1:

I´m not sure, I´m in the right forum (modified or not), if not, please
put this thread in the right one. thx.

I drive a 1998 XJ Ltd, 4.0, 100,000 miles, 4" budget boost, 31x10.5/15 cooper STT.

I have the following problem:

my transmission doesn´t work in the overdrive.
doesn´t matter, what I´m doing, the aw4 uses just the "normal" gears.
sometimes, but just sometimes!!!, the aw4 switches into the OD, but it springs off after few hundred meters.
it switches only into the OD, when I´m driving uphill, cold engine/transmission (just started) and step onn the gas the half way.
Maybe, you knows an answer???

sorry about my clumsy english, I´m german...

Hi!
I drove with a xj (similar to my) of a friend and his rpm are a lot lower then mine.
I have this xj for about 3 years and didn´t know, that the rpm are to high.
its my first jeep...
yes, oil is good (just changed), enough and not overfilled.
so i think this prob is about 3 years old, but I didn´t know, that I have a problem...

what gear ratio is yours? What gear ratio is your friends? When you take off from a stop and accelerate to speed, does the transmission shift 3 times? What kinds of RPMs are you running, and at what speeds.

What happens when you are driving in 3rd gear (on the shifter) on flat ground at a normal speed, and then put it into overdrive while driving? any change?

~ James

(Your english is better than most Americans on here... dont worry about that. We are going to Langenaltheim this weekend... if you are interested in going, shoot me a private message.)

Back