• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homebrew Shifter Boots

XJ AV8R

NAXJA Forum User
I recently did a clutch system conversion on my '91 XJ. During disassembly I found that 2 of the 3 shifter boots were torn. Surprisingly, I didn't find much information on NAXJA regarding replacement...that doesn't happen very often! I provided a link to my blog where you can check out what I did if you are encountering the same problems. I'm too lazy to post it all here on NAXJA too. The material cost consisted of a tube of rubber cement. The inner tube I used was free from the local tire shop.

http://xjav8r.blogspot.com/search/label/Shifter Boots

Nice job, great write up.

Just installed a Hurst short-throw shifter and was trying to figure out what to do with the trans tunnel boot which is, of course, in shreds.

Also liked your blogs on the axle upgrades and clutch conversion.

Really good write ups.

Thanks joe! I couldn't even find an OEM tunnel boot for sale, unlike the shift tower boot.

I just got done adding a few things to the blog and correcting some misplaced pictures. I finally figured out how to make the videos widescreen too. Glad you enjoyed it!

selarep, that works. My boot on the outside was fine so I didn't have to worry about the way it looked. If I had to do it over (although it works fine) I would have used the rubber grommet in addition to the accordion dealie to avoid having the hole stretch out over time. It remains to be seen whether this will happen in the long term though. I wouldn't want to look at mine on the outside...it's ugly...yours is nicer to look at.

To joe_peters and anyone else who read the write-up on my clutch conversion. I indicated that I used a TJ master cylinder fitting from Advance Adapters. I actually used a YJ master cylinder fitting. Oops. I added all relevant part numbers to my parts list also.

Thanks for the update.

When I have to do the clutch I'll do the conversion then, but was planning to use a Howe MC, either the 7/8 or 1" bore.

Planning to drive the heck out of this thing and then leave it to me Son.

If the bore is different than the slave cylinder then it's math time to get the proper stroke on the slave cylinder. MC^2 / pi R^2, or E=mC^2 or something like that. Too much for my pea brain. You may consider matching the bore of the new master cylinder with the slave to keep it easy, unless Howe has already figured this out, of course. Anyway, the conversion is worth it! Particularly with the questionable nature of some of the replacement parts we all get from time to time. Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
Back