• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44/ARB Venting Oil

playwithit

NAXJA Forum User
Installed ARB in XJ Dana 44. Having problems with gear oil out the vent. Anyone have details (preferably Picture) of exactly where to drill housing on the XJ D44 for proper drainage from axle tube?

I have reviewed the installation guide and it's not exactly clear to me.

Can this be done without removing differential?

Thanks in advance.

Can someone elaborate on this? I have a buddy that has an issue with Diff fluid burping out of his vent tube in his 44 after an ARB install. If someone could give me a little background on this, and possibly the why, it would be great.

I think the o rings are leaking and causing the oil to airate and expanding from heat and coming out the vent. possible nick in orings when it was assembled

Double Post!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
On top of tube with a vacuum to catch the filings and also add some grease to the drill bitn]

The breather has been relocated. I used the Corporate Fuel line/vent block. I did this when the housing was bare.

[quote+GlueNTape;244221677]Can someone elaborate on this? I have a buddy that has an issue with Diff fluid burping out of his vent tube in his 44 after an ARB install. If someone could give me a little background on this, and possibly the why, it would be great.]

The drain from the pumkin to the drivers axle tube is at the top of the tube. My understanding is that the tube fill up and has difficulty returning to the diff. Heat expands and whoa la! Drilling a hole in the housing (inside of pumkin) near the bottom of the tube allows things to return to normal.

I think the o rings are leaking and causing the oil to airate and expanding from heat and coming out the vent. possible nick in orings when it was assembled

The Locker checks out. The compressor runs for about 2 second and does not come on again for 15 minutes or more. I tested it with the cover off.

RCP, I an using this document and it is still an issue. Maybe the diff has to come out to get it right. Thanks

Anyone else?

Last edited:
The Locker checks out. The compressor runs for about 2 second and does not come on again for 15 minutes or more. I tested it with the cover off.
It shouldnt come on again after turning the locker on,if it does you have a leak somewhere.

RCP Phx;244222060It shouldnt come on again after turning the locker on said:
Just following the install instructions. Says to turn on compressor and locker for 15 minutes and the compressor should not cycle. It does not. I have not had a chance to use them longer. I have ruled out air leak.

If you search for this problem ,you will find that a groove needs to be cut in one of the bearing caps .It used to be in the instructions,maybe ARB has changed something .

Wayne

The bearing cap has been cut. This is just for the ARB seal tube. Does not take care of my issue.

Is it possible that you added more fluid than needed when refilling the diff? My 8.8 took much less fluid to fill the diff after my locker install. It leaked fluid out of the axle vent for a long time before I drained and refilled the diff to fix the problem. Once I did that, my problem went away.

If you search for this problem ,you will find that a groove needs to be cut in one of the bearing caps .It used to be in the instructions,maybe ARB has changed something .

Wayne
See post#5,that is ARB's instructions!

I was prepared to do it today, but it was raining and I didn't want to take the GTO out of the garage. So maybe tomorrow. I think I know what needs to be done. I may move the vent high and to the right of the ring gear.

Can anyone that has modified the housing for the oil drain, give me an idea on the picture below? It was before I installed it, not the best pic. Anyone?
Jeep009-1.jpg

You may have one of a few problems. I had an arb with bad orings that would never cycle the compressor unless the wheels were turning. Standing still it would seal fine. That would pump fluid out the breather. If it sat for a few weeks, it would blow oil out the solenoid when I turned off the locker.

I also had a diff breather bolt that was too long after changing the rear brake line to the axle. As the axle turned, it pumped oil out the breather. I shortened the bolt and that problem was fixed.

-Jim C

Thanks for the post. It's not the O-ring. It pushes the oil after a long unlocked trip. No compressor on. I already cut down the breather fitting. Maybe shorter? Easy task.

I will be drilling the housing to provide better drainage for the axle tube. I figure if ARB makes a note of it in their install manual, I should do it. I'll remove the locker and then drill, or maybe grind the passage.

Back