• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf springs

yeah i put '00 on my '89 worked fine after i managed to get the old ones off

Spray the bolts with penetrating lubricant ahead of time. Mine's rust-free and they still put up a little bit of a fight. The bolts are 21mm, and I suggest having deep and shallow sockets as well as a box wrench in that size. Really, though, the whole operation is pretty straight-forward. Four nuts on the u-bolts, one bolt on each end of the spring.

EDIT: Oh, and if you've got a hitch, often the hitch has to be removed to get the rear bolt out. If you have a gas tank skid, that might have to be dropped as well. That all is an easy operation, though.

I say you should upgrade! pro comp has some nice 3.5" lift springs. I got them for $220 shipped and they work great. Now all you need is some coils and perhaps lower control arms for some extra travel. Finally, throw some 31's on that sucka! nowwwwww you have a jeep :p

i had the idea to lift it and make it into a fun and enjoyable vehicle on and off road. but im a highschool student and money lacks for a fun project like that. Im most likely bound to sell it to a friend. But until then, ill see what i can do

well ill tell ya that im in my second year of college and have had 5 cherokees lol, may you R.I.P. J3....poor baby got rolled twice in the dunes :( anyway i got em all with the cash from the J.O.B. do you have one? if so, PM me, ill give you the links to places where you can have a full set up of exhaust, lift, rims, and tires for about $600. I know what its like to be on a tight budget and this is def the way to go.

p.s. if your mechanically inclined, keep the jeep. If your not, then you best get your ass into auto tech at your HS if you plan on keepin it lol. But seriously, take auto, i took it for four years, and if your good enough you get to travel around and to competitions and go to the Ford/AAA contest, boy that was fun. Do it to it son!!!

EDIT: Oh, and if you've got a hitch, often the hitch has to be removed to get the rear bolt out. If you have a gas tank skid, that might have to be dropped as well. That all is an easy operation, though.

not true at all the shackle box bolt is a good way to get it off without dropping the hitch... when i did my lift that is what i was told... saved me the extra hour just fyi. also if you do decide to lift... which would be better in the long run... just wait for the good deal i got my 3 inch for 150 bucks and all i got was coils shocks and springs...

if those springs are leaf packs and not add-a-leafs then you got one helluva deal!!!

yup full leaf packs... ill probably be selling it as soon as i get my RC 4.5 this one is RC and actually rides really good for what it is...

Back