• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ubolts - anyone cut them off?

sewerrat

NAXJA Forum User
Did a search and didn't see this mentioned anywhere.
My lift is coming today so I spent yesterday in the garage prepping. For the last week I've soaked the Ubolts with PB Blaster. Went to take them off yesterday and can't get them to budge. Used a 30" breaker bar and snapped the nut off of one, so I got out the old trusty cut off tool. I've cut one Ubolt off of each side not wanting to drop the axel yet.
Is this a common occurance? Is it possible my existing Ubolts are "peened" and not meant to be backed off?

The breaker bar could move them a little, but with a cliking noise and they never got loose enough to allow the impact gun to back them off.

I'm just a little concerned cause the inside bolts are gonna be harder to get at.

cut them. Just be careful, they are under quite a bit of tension and will "pop" off the axle. Safety glasses mandatory, and you might want to put something over them to keep it from flying.

87manche said:
cut them. Just be careful, they are under quite a bit of tension and will "pop" off the axle. Safety glasses mandatory, and you might want to put something over them to keep it from flying.

x2 cutting old u bolts is standard procedure for me, its bad to reuse them at all anyways so i get new ones

Yes, I do it on stubborn ones.

Cut where it curves below the axle tube with an angle grinder cut-off wheel.

They shouldn't be peened, but you never know. Put new ones on with anti-sieze. Re-tighten after 100 miles.

Every time i have ever taken off my u-bolts at least one has twisted and broken off. It really shouldn't matter if you cut them because you should really never re-use them.

Ya this is a common occurance, my mehcanic was amazed my u-bolts were so easy to take off, ie we could just unscrew them without breaking, when we did my lift.

yeah be careful for sure put a blanket or something on top of them cause they will fly across the room

they might be stover nuts... probably not, either way cutting is mandatory

Never had to cut one. But I have snapped off everyone I ever needed to remove. A 36" breaker bar, and a big grunt has always been enough for me.

I cut them off all the time, did it once infront of a guy who didn't know what to expect, scared the crap ot of him when it popped.

BRIANHO13 said:
I cut them off all the time, did it once infront of a guy who didn't know what to expect, scared the crap ot of him when it popped.

You're talking about me aren't you???

You know I've had to do it twice since then... Now I own stock in anti-sieze.

i cut about 90% of the way through and then wack them with a hammer. Atleast your hands are not so close when they pop.

FitchVA said:
since we are on the subject, what are the dimensions of the u-bolts for the xj d44 rear axle? i searched, but found several different answers.
This was posted up here a few weeks back Think it was a napa part number, not sure. P/N 650-2004 1/2" x 2.88" x 7".

I'm running 9/16" ubolts with a 3" bend on my D44. I can't remember how long they are. I picked them up because the shop I went to had them in stock, so I made them work. They're definitely beefy...:cool:

Back