• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SBC 350, 700R4 in th 98'

So I've been going back and forth with Goat about this project and decided I should start a thread and get everyones input on the situation. So far I've got the engine, tranny & t-case out. I'm currently fitting the AA motor mounts to work on my 97-01 body style.

I'll be updating more pics soon, this was all I had on my jump drive at the moment.

First night:
JeepSBCphotos002.jpg

JeepSBCphotos021.jpg

JeepSBCphotos022.jpg

JeepSBCphotos033.jpg

JeepSBCphotos036.jpg

JeepSBCphotos023.jpg

JeepSBCphotos026.jpg

I got this balanced & blue printed +.040 short block for $800
JeepSBCphotos013.jpg

JeepSBCphotos014.jpg

This is the style of serpentine system I am using, I have all the brackets and accesories, I will not be using the stock fan, I have electric fans for the cooling system.
JeepSBCphotos009.jpg

So I ordered a set of complete DART Iron Eagle heads and I will be getting a built 700r4 at the end of the month and then I will be test fitting the engine/tranny.

I'm going to be using a Barry Grant Demon carb and a Dart dual plane intake manifold, and the AA 700r4/NP231 adapter kit along with the 6 planetary gear input drive and a super short SYE.

Advice I need: any suggestions on headers, this is going to be a hot little motor so I really want to use performance headers but I may be forced to use stock cast iron manifolds(n).

I will be updating later this week so thanks for looking

:peace: Kelvin

What about the "legal" issues?

I don't think he has legal issues in Florida that California has. If there are not emission laws in his state he should be good to go!

9.5:1 and I personally like Demons, I have considered EFI because I can get a complete set-up for cheap from u-pull-it. I think that I'm going with the carb because I am very familiar with the est-up and tunning aspect.

I am open to suggestions if you have a good one, I would think that an OBDI system would be easier to work with. The heads I purchased can work with either set-up so my options are still open, and the thought crossed my mind when I came across a Z-28 EFI system a few weeks ago.

I just got word yesterday that I'm probably going to be moving to Peoria IL in June/July and I think that a carb may be problematic in the winter, I'm not really sure because I've never been out of the south east, I've never even seen snow and I'm 25.

So we'll see what happens, I haven't purchased either yet so we'll see how it unfolds.

what compression is the motor and why a carb in this day and age?

I ran into problems with p/s pulley and steering box clearance when using that style of serp system.

But I'm an 89...just something to keep an eye on when fitting.

I would swap in an EFI. Isn't that demon and intake more of a street car setup? I know the dual plane will help with torque. What cam is in it?

I guess torque and hp down low is going to be great with a v-8 no matter, just wondering if you would target more of a truck/offroad build on that engine.

I ran into problems with p/s pulley and steering box clearance when using that style of serp system.

But I'm an 89...just something to keep an eye on when fitting.

I was thinking about that when I was taking measurements the other night and I think I may be able to work around that issue with a smaller under drive pulley.

Also I am thinking now that I may be forced to go EFI because IL enforces smog checks and I know that it wouldn't pass unless I use EFI.

Re: SBC 350, 700R4 in the 98'

I didn't get much done last night but I cleaned up the brackets and did some fitting and measuring and thinking about everything that I still have to do.

JeepSBCphotos040.jpg

JeepSBCphotos041.jpg

I matched the crease in the body with the crease in the mounts and they both were exactly 19-1/2" from the front rail.
JeepSBCphotos042.jpg

JeepSBCphotos043.jpg

JeepSBCphotos045.jpg

JeepSBCphotos046.jpg

got the brackets cleaned and painted also
JeepSBCphotos047.jpg

JeepSBCphotos048.jpg

I think a TPI setup from a late 80's 350 Camaro/Vette would work (and look) great on this. Easy to tune/Reliable/Great performance in off-canter situations.

Okay I think I found my solution, I came across this company and they sell a DIY kit for the price that painless charges for their wire harness alone.

So for $535 I get everything I need but a throttle body and ECM, which I can get from the junk yard for cheap and get a set of rebuilt matched injectors.

I should be able to get EFI for less than a Dart intake and Demon carb.

This system is a stand alone with a diagnostic port and check engine light so my jeep ECM can still operate speedo, A/C, etc. and the EFI will operate on it's own. I kinda like it and it should make spongebob happy

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/store.php?crn=208&rn=421&action=show_detail

Last edited:
I don't think he has legal issues in Florida that California has. If there are not emission laws in his state he should be good to go!

I was refering to "Federal" law!!

As far as exhaust manifolds, Id use the Chevy truck or Corvette ram horn ones. You might be able to use some block hugger style headers that are more commonly used in street rods.

I may have a set of the Chevy truck ram horn manifolds in the shed.

Wait a minute, you want headers on it but you are planning to put a GM TBI on it??? It's a dog @ 450cfm.

Here are the manifolds that I used...
1771-1198L.gif

1771-1103R.gif

I just noticed this...post #10, third picture from the top.

That's the drivers side bracket but you have it on the passenger side. You got me curious as to what you are cooking up?

you can always port and polish the cast manifolds for better flow, sucks you'll have a screamer hooked up to manifolds though. It would be nice to get a set of block huggers so you can have equal length primarys. Have you looked into building your own headers? it's not that hard, you just alot of patience.

Back