• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knock sensor?

supernatural

NAXJA Forum User
Well, since my heep is down i'm hearing a few different things.

One, my "knock" was a cracked flywheel. possible?

two, my flywheel coulda came apart and took out a knock sensor. IS there a sensor that does these things on jeeps?

this is a 2000 XJ 4.0 w/ AW4 and 140,000 miles on it.

What i plan on doing first is pulling the inspection plate and seeing if i see anything wrong in there. My next move is pull the tranny down and making sure the flywheel is still in tact.

Then i move on to pulling the engine if all that shows in good condition.
frown.gif

Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions? A friend that owns a mechanic shop said originally my flywheel was either cracked or there was a loos bolt holding it on. Then, the next day coming home, my check engine light flashed at me a couple times then it shut off.

there is no knock sensor on your year, only 87-90 had them. yes the cps could be your shut down problem. also, the flexplate bolts do come loose or it could be a cracked flexplate. if a bolt unscrewed from the flexplate it could hit the cps.

Before I pulled the tranny out (assuming inspection of the flywheel didn't show an obvious problem). I would check the engine codes and find out what the trouble code was. It is possible that the CPS sensor got whanged by something loose in the bell housing. Then before pulling the tranny, remove the CPS sensor for inspection. You need to remove it anyway before pulling the tranny so it doesn't get damaged.

Back