• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac bar on stock height MJ

oldseddie

NAXJA Forum User
I have been locking for a heaver trac bar for my MJ. I have owned this truck since new and have gone through several factory bars in less than 15000mi. as I live in the mountains and enjoy the Comanche's handling abilities. I have tried every manufacturer recommended by this forum as well as some not recommented (Rusty's). None of them makes a double sheer bar and they don't recomend their products on less than 3" lift. The MJ is a spring over setup as opposed to the XJ being spring under. When I park next to an XJ it appears that he MJ is lifted from the factory. Has anyone had any luck running a heaver bar? I wouldn't want to lift her any more than necessary as I am running 29" tires and wouldn't want to go over 30".

I also vote for the JKS OSG126 track bar.

It is not double shear but I don't believe this is necessary for a MJ with no lift. I think the double shear comes in handy when you have massive amounts of articulation.

The JKS track bar has a rebuildable johnny joint so you can rebuild the joint if it ever wears out.

I decided to go with the JKS OSG125 (4" and up) trackbar after talking with David Johnson @ Northridge4x4.com. He was very helpful, a NAXJA sponsor, and he has a good price, has them in stock and ready to ship, and JKS is a well made product.

Send him an e-mail or call him. He can help answer any questions you might have.

After researching all of the new suggestions I noticed that Rugged Ridge makes a double sheer bar for 2"+ lifts. I enjoying going around curves which is good if you live in the mountains of NC. I work a trac bar a lot harder than most. One question is if an MJ is taller than an XJ and if so how much. I have an Eliminator SB. I wouldn't mind lifting another inch but I can go anywhere I want to in my MJ as it sits. I have been around Jeeps since 1966 when I was 11 years old and experience makes up for equipment any day.

None of them makes a double sheer bar and they don't recomend their products on less than 3" lift. The MJ is a spring over setup as opposed to the XJ being spring under. When I park next to an XJ it appears that he MJ is lifted from the factory.

Just FYI, MJ's are spring under from the factory, XJ's are spring over. If it has a spring over, the rear end has either been swapped or the spring perches moved. that alone will give you about 2'' of lift or more in the rear.

My apologies, I guess i had it backwards. Do you know if Kevin's stuff is any good? He says his trac bar conversion will fit a stock height XJ.

Kevins is good stuff,also a MJ spring over conversion will give about 5" of lift!

If the machine is really stock, a stock trackbar will work very nicely.

Even if someone did a SOA conversion on the machine with stock spring, a stock trackbar will work well if the lower mounting hole is moved inboard abut 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

I look at it this way. The stock trackbar is made to withstand a good 100K life. I changed mine out at 150K and the trackbar I replaced it with is still on there at 205K, and that's with a lift on it and extensive off-road use.

I'm sure that a stock trac bar would do but I have put 3 on since I have owned my MJ. It's one thing to drive one on the interstate, but to drive one in the mountains around curves wears one out quickly.

I just ordered a double shear one form iron rock. It's spec'd for 3+ and I have 2 but I called them and they said it can be trimmed and they'll do it for me for free. I haven't gotten it yet so we'll see how it turns out, but I'll post how it goes when I install it.

I would think it could be trimmed to fit stock as well.

Back