• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

disconect shaft in non disco axle

iaml3lue

NAXJA Forum User
will vac. disconnect shaft in work non disco axle. also i remember seeing on Trucks! that the dana 30's with abs had bigger u joints is that true if so what year

I don't think they will. The CAD mechanism uses a sliding collar with internal splines to engage/disengage the axle halfshafts (on the pax side,) and you'd either have to weld the two halfshafts together (which will likely get you something that is grossly unbalanced,) pin them together (which will likely be relatively weak,) or put the collar in place and weld the whole thing together (harder to balance, and I don't know as the collar will fit in the ~CAD housing - tubes may be too small inside. IIRC, the CAD collar is removed by removing the shift actuator, pulling the outer halfshaft, and then slipping the collar out through the shift actuator port.)

The later rigs do use larger joints, but I don't think it's limited to ABS. The later shafts should fit neatly into the earlier ~CAD housings, but I don't recall if the hole in the outer knuckle is large enough to pass the larger joint. However, you should be able to swap outer knuckles as well without too much trouble.

a 91 Laredo has the disconnect axle correct

it will have a disconnect axle if it has the 231 t-case. 242 t-cases, no matter the year, had non-disco axles. and yes, early models with ABS had larger u-joints. later ones just all came with the larger ones.

Back