• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-BOLT style yoke

POLAR_JEEP_04

NAXJA Forum User
anyone know where to get one for a 29spline 8.25"? can you just drill the threads out and throw ubolts in? im tired of the straps and i have to replace the yoke now.

anyone know where to get one for a 29spline 8.25"? can you just drill the threads out and throw ubolts in? im tired of the straps and i have to replace the yoke now.

You can drill the threads out, but you'll have to spotface on the backside of the yoke so the nuts and washers have a flat spot to bear against (if they're crooked, you're looking at premature failure of the U-bolt.) So, the yoke will have to be removed, and you'll have to know what size the nuts will be so you can spotface a large enough pad on the back (typical 1/4" nuts are 7/16", but you may be able to find reduced hex nuts, 12-point flange head nuts, or something like that. If you do, lay in a stock of them so you don't run out an an inopportune moment...)

Got mine from 4wd Hardware, 4wd.com.

That was for a 44, but I'm sure they'll have one for you, too...

Robert

How about some Titaium U-joint caps? These things rock and I put sets front and rear on mine.

PICT2952.jpg

PICT5021.jpg

If you want to purchase them, I have the info in a thread in the SoCal group.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244204856&postcount=33

Yeah, that was from my last trip which had way more mud then I wanted. I typically don't do mud trips and about 95% of the 110 miles of El Camino Del Diablo was dry but that 5% was thick, sticky mud. I have done two rounds, 1 hour each, power washing and it's still not 100% clean but it looks much better then those pics show. :D

straps and u-bolts don't sit on the same part of the u-joint cap. If you drill a strap yoke out and put a u-bolt on it, it will sit inboard just a hair on the cap, putting pressure on the bearings instead of the solid face of the cap, and cause premature failure.

I got a nice lecture on it from the local driveline shop while I was buying a u-joint and a new yoke..

You can find u-bolt 8.25 yokes from most aftermarket driveline shops - try Tom Wood or JE Reel.

Back