• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Spring Question???

Mgonzo700

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, guys yesterday when I took the wheels off my XJ for the first time I noticed that my Leaf springs where I think in horrible shape but im not sure. To my knowledge I believe that the leaf springs are supposed to be kinda U shaped looking up but mine are completely straight maybe the U shape is a little down....like looking towards the bottom(sorry dont know any other way to describe it). The jeep has 3 inch blocks under the springs, I was thinking of going to the U pick junk yard and picking up a set of stock XJ leaf springs...but im not sure.. PLz help. thanks

O)

O(

Get rid of the blocks, and get some new springs.!!

Someone did not want to spend the money on springs and tossed a block in. Spring drooping on a Stock XJ is common. Might be able to find some at U Pick Junk yard, however might just run into the same issue. Time for a lift ;-)

do a search on "check out my leaf springs!!"
cant be any worse than mine. Im changing mine in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks guys...but I cant spend money on a new lift right now, is there anyway of reinforcing them. Or if I pick up a set of stock springs from the junk yard, how long do u think that ll last until they start caving in again??

There's usually a little reverse curve in them even when they're all right. One solution used by many for getting a little extra life into a saggy set, especially if you're unwilling to go to the trouble of unbolting the main leaves, is to add a leaf. Do some searching here, and you'll find a bunch of posts on this, including some that may have pictures of my favored method, which is to cut a new leaf to go between leaves 2 and 3 (counting down from main leaf as 1). In fact, I just finished doing that on my 99 tonight. It perks the rear end up with very little change in ride.

Others prefer to take a main leaf, cut the eyes off, and put it in the #2 position.

Buy other leaf springs at the junk yard. Clamp them with c clamps which ever pack is the best leave alone for now. Take one set of packs and cut the eyes off. Take leaf 1 and 2 and combine them with the "better" pack you will be using. You should get almost 3 inches from that.

Ok thanks to all...I think I might go with the 3.5 inch leaf spring pack from rustys or just wait till I can afford like a 4.5 inch lift from fatbobsgarage.com thanks again

Back