• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Drive Shaft measurement

dedmete

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I picked up a 96 XJ about a month ago. The PO had the rear shaft break on him. They put a junk shaft (supposedly bent, they just wanted to get it home) on it. Horrible, horrible drive line vibes when I drove it home. It's been sitting ever since, but I finally have some time to work on it. My question, when I pulled the rear shaft out, it didn't seem to be sitting on the output shaft of the transfer case very much. Almost like the drive shaft is to short. Does anyone have a measurement for the correct rear drive shaft for that year? It has the Chrysler 8.25 in the rear. It also has a RE add a leaf lift in it. However, it doesn't look any taller than 2" above stock. I have a 3" Rusty's on my 89, it sits noticeably higher. So, I doubt it's an issue of needing a SYE. Guy from my local junkyard said that they had different sizes for different years. Not sure if that is correct or not.

Measured from the center of u-joint to center of u-joint on the tube part of the drive shaft for 4.0L with AW4 and NP231.

29 spline 8.25 .... 27 7/8"
97 + D35 ........... 28 7/8"

Back