• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t-5 tranny question

MonsterXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 84' with a 2.8l v6 with a t-5 tranny. One day, i was doing some moderate offroading, when my tranny started acting up. It was really hard on the 1st to 2nd shift, so, like a retard, i crammed it into 2nd. :doh: I went to shift into third, the shifter moved fine, but when i let off the clutch, i was still in second. So, now im forever stuck in 2nd gear. Now im good with mechanics but ive never cracked open a tranny other than to change a clutch. Anybody know what this might be? or how easy it is to fix. My wallet is very thin. Also, if i must replace the tranny, how hard would it be to put a auto in? any help would be greatly apprediate.

I don't know what you've checked so far, but my initial thought was that either the clutch fluid or trans fluid was low. Try draining and replacing with sythetic??? I had a similar problem and it was just that my clutch fluid was low - and old.

all my fluid levels are good, and my clutch is still ok cause i can engage and disengage the one gear i have. but i didnt try replacing the fluid with new fluid...ill try that, any other suggestions? thanks

Not sure how the linkage is in the T-5 but you could have knocked the shifter out of whack. On the AX-4/5 there are three shift rails that move to put it in the different gears. Not sure about the T-5 but if it is simular you could have put it in gear with the shifter in netural. If so the only way to fix is probalby to remove the tranny and open her up. But then again I could be wrong.

Per my Chilton's, the T-5 has only a single selector rail, located under a top access cover.
I think the tranny tunnel is solid (no access panel), so you still have to drop the tranny to access it.

Get a workshop manual. Take the tranny out and see if the selectors are broken/bent.

If it's too far gone, you should be able to get a junkyard T-5 (for 4wd) with a 30 day warranty. Remove ITS cover (before purchase) and make sure the same parts aren't failing.

I doubt you'll find a junkyard auto Chryco 909/999 auto, since the '84-'86 XJ was the only application, IIRC. A rebuilt unit, with flex plate (that has to be externally balanced to YOUR engine) and torque converter will cost more than your entire rig.
A GM TH700R4 (4wd model) will work, but you'll still have the same flex plate balance issue, and I *think* you'll need an adapter from the 700R4 to your TC.
Plus, it's longer, so you'll need front and rear driveshafts.

The only thing more underpowered than a 2.8 XJ with a T-5, is a 2.8 with an auto that sucks 10 hp :eek:

Good luck.
-Rick

There are 84-86 autos out there. Around here they are not as rare as what some people claim. The U-Pull it near me has 2 or 3 autos of the 5-6 XJ/MJ's that are there.But I'm in SC. If you want to switch to a different tranny get an AX-5. They are behind all 2.5L Jeep engines up till I know 99. Even the wrangler.

hmmm, well like i said, im transmission illeterate, i cant look at it right now b/c its still out at friends trails. I gotta get it towed home soon and then ill start tearing it apart. But, when it was there i took the boot and the plate off and everything looked strait. As another option, anybody know how hard it is to swap a 3.4 chevy in? Can i use that transmission? Its out of a 93 camaro, so how do i get my tc to bolt up. sorry, I've been in the import and mini-truckin scene for a while, but when i bought my old jeep for a winter beater, i fell in love. I just dont know too much about it yet.

If you have a Camaro 3.4, complete with sensors, 'puter, and wiring harness, you're in good shape for a good engine swap.

It will drop right in, all your engine externals (Water pump, PS, AC, Alt) will transfer right over.
Prolly need a bigger radiator, since there will be more heat to dissipate.
Your existing gas tank is already equipped to receive a standard XJ in-the-tank fuel pump for the 3.4's FI. You'll have to add a circuit to power it, wired thru the ignition.

BUT, the tranny (TH700R4) from a Camaro has a different output shaft (2wd) than you need (4wd).
Not only does the tranny tailcone have to come off, but also somebody will have to disassemble the tranny and swap output shafts. Make sure the replacement output has the same number of splines as your existing tranny, so it will mate with the TC.

Check with Advance Adapters to see if the 700R4 will just bolt to the TC, or if an adapter is required.
Again, because the 700R4 is longer than your tranny, you'll have to have the driveshafts lengthened/replaced (front) and shortened (rear).

hmmm, seems like too much, i dont have the camaro, but if it was a worht-while swap i was willing to consider it, but now it just seems like it would be too big of a pain in the ass. I think ill try and fix my tranny.

I got the t5 in my mustang. As far as manual transmissions go its easy to rebuild. Its a widely used transmission. It weighs about 75-80lbs, of course that doesnt include the transfer case.

T-5 made by borgwarner is pretty weak, but the ones made by tremac...if constructed right, they can take a beating.

Back