• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding wire

slcpunk74

NAXJA Forum User
I have been running my lincoln 180 on flux core for a while and I finally got the cash to run gas. I have just been getting the 1lb .030 lincoln wire spoold from lowes and I would like to get a bigger spool(10lb?). I have been very pleased with the weld quality of the lincoln wire, and I we use the praxair(prostar?) at work and I like that too. I am wondering what wire you guys like (money/quality). I just don't wanna get stuck with 10lbs of crap wire.

I've been running the Airgas brand "Radnor" with very good success. I have a 33lb spool of .035 in my Millermatic 35. When I had my lincoln sp175 I was using the same wire, just in a 10lb spool. I like it, and will continue to buy it.

Justin

another vote for the Radnor .035, specifically the ER70S. Mostly simple fabrication and roll cage work

nice I will check that stuff out

Any wire sold from an actual welding store that Ive ever bought has been fine. The only wire I can really tell a difference in is the Harbor Frieght wire, and that stuff is crap. I Just tossed out a 10 lb spool of flux core its so bad, but when you need wire on a Sunday its about the only option in this town.

specifically the ER70S.

This is all I'll use and generally doesn't matter what size. .23 .30 .35, but I like to stay in the .30 size range for just about everything.

I've had horrible luck with anything I've bought at places like HomeDepot, Lowes, etc. It tends to be cheap junk.

As said above, get it at your local welding supply.
If not check out HTP America wire. I've got a few spools of that (both in .023 and .030) and it runs great in my Millermatic. It is precision layer wound wire, not random wound, so it feeds much smoother than most others.

Back