• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running the factory front skid?

mikeprince

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 97 XJ that came with a factory front skid plate. I'm used to running my TJ and YJs with nothing under the radiator to protect stuff and haven't had a problem on even tough trails like the Rubicon or Fordyce (of course these other rigs are lifted).

Soooo... do other people pull these off to get better access for maintenance and so save a few pounds, or do you leave them on?

Do XJ's have a problem that makes this skid useful? I've never seen a TJ with this and both vehicles are pretty much identical in front of the front axle (tie rods, steering linkage, etc.) In fact, the XJs steering box is even up in the frame rail where the TJ's hangs down lower.

Just wondering...

no skid installed ever, I do have one though, my brother swears up and down the thing protects his, but he's more or less at stock height so it does protect some of the steering

its supposed to protect the alternator some from water... but yeah, pretty much it just gets in the way (and collects oil spills... therefore ALSO getting nasty in the process)

it could possibly save the bottom of your radiator if you like driving around in the desert, running straight into shrubs.

its also not compatable w/ drop sway bar brackets (like those from rc or RE)

Hallo. I have removed my protection skid under the engine and I placed a piece of aluminium Tread Plate on the bevel side of the bumper.
It can fixed easy with a few bolts through the bumper.
The size is 6"x 31" .
It will give some protection to the steeringrods.

3 pics:

:yelclap:

I purposefully put one on mine. Yes, it is in the way if you need to take out the alternator or something. But it's not that difficult to take on/off. I like having it there to help keep mud/water off the alternator, etc. and protect against that inevitable landing on a rock or stump!

i cut up my factory skid and wleded it back with some reinforcement and it is now about 4" lower so even with my lift it still protects my steering components. works good for packing snow down.

I´m using the stock front skid, modified a bit for better clearance.

bilstein-steering.jpg

I ran the front skid for several years as I slowly went from 0 to 4.5" lift. At low lifts it does give some protection, actually warning before you will hit the tie rod and drag link.

It also helps a bit on water crossings, or at least it looks like it should, by, I assume, helping to create a bubble between the radiator and the fan so the fan is less likely to pull itself into the radiator by grabbing water.

All that said, after getting up to 4.5' inces and wheeling hard it I eventually hammered it hard enough that it started to rub on the drag link and in the middle of one weekend I hit it again and jammed it on drag link to point I had almost no steering travel.

Since then I pulled it and havent noticed any ill effects. I have only done a couple "deep" water crossings with the bow wave higher than the hood (intake is in firewall and feeds from the vents below the windshield). The fan has not gone into the radiator. I dont plan on putting it back on.

Recommendation;
If I was still from 0-3" I would probably leave it in, especially if I was new at this. It gives good warning before you hit the tie rod (even though it lower) and the drag link. As you get higher it doesnt help much and could cause problems so I would pull it.

John

i am still running mine, and if you run alot of muddy trails it keeps mud/water out of the engine compartment which is nice. I had to modify the brackets on it because im using a steering box brace, but it takes a few hits here and there when you run over something that you should have ran over with your tire.

It will get you hung up in a lof of situations. I keep one on my DD but my off road rig doesnt and wont ever have one.

the only reason I have it on there is because I have been lazy, I want to remove it and put somethign else with more clearance to keep mud and crap out.

if only i could figure out how to post pics, i would show you how mine is all smashed in from a rock that was hidden in a large puddle. The skid is caved in pretty good, but i'd rather that than my steering linkage. Working on the jeep is more of a pain with it there, but for me it stays!

Post your pics to photobucket (or similar site) then post a link here. From photobucket, all you have to do is click the "img" tag and it will copy the url. Then, come back here and paste the link.

its supposed to protect the alternator some from water... but yeah, pretty much it just gets in the way (and collects oil spills... therefore ALSO getting nasty in the process)

How do you figure? It's nowhere near the oil drain plug or filter. Other than typical road grime or a front seal leak, I don't think that this is the case.

Im actually in the process of installing a 3.5"RE SuperRide lift, will my stock skid plate still fit on? I would like to continue to run with it. Some of you mentioned modifying it? got any pics of a modified one, or a link to a how to?

Hey Hammered, good looking Jeep!

I have an '01 on BDS 4.5" suspension, and I'm ordering a Rigidco FbG bumper. Terry couldn't answer as to how the access is to put the pin in the receiver with the skid installed. As I'm in Iraq right now I can only guess. Looks like you have a similar setup, any issues reaching the pin?

Thanks, Doug

Back