• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedometer cluster issues 1999 XJ limited and wipers no park

seg501

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 Cherokee limited and the speedometer and all gauges in the cluster stop working and the airbag light goes on after going over bumps and taking hard right hand turns? Also the windshiled wiper motor was recently replaced although the intermitted does not work and wipers do not park. I found that if I go over a bump and the cluster goes dead I can get it to start working again buy squirting the windshield wipers or playing with wipers to get it to work again. Also the 4x4 green high light always stays on all the time even when the Jeep is not in 4x4 high. I looked at all of the forums and found some simular issues with the wipers and someone else that had an issue with their cluster but it affected their radio and that does not symptom . I check the ground and it seems to be okay. Pease help.

you need to check the connections on the back side of the instrument cluster. they are know for vibrating and causing a loose connection and causeing some of the symptoms that your refering to. It is a simple item to get to, you just need to take the trim off of the dash surrounding the gauges and then I believe that they are held in with phillips head screws. it is easyto try so give it a shot. Hope this helps, and better yet, works for ya.

Thanks. I am going to buy a haynes manual and take the dash apart, check the connections and see if it helps. I am going to order a new stock(wipers switch on the steering column), because this is where I think this problem is happening and I hope it will correct the wiper issue.

Wipers not parking is not a column switch problem, but a problem of the switch in the motor assy.

Was the wiper motor new or used ? Your cluster/wiper combined symptoms sound more like a loose or shorted wire. Was the wiper switch replaced also ?

The 4x4 indicator lamp switch on the Transfer case needs to be inspected for loose or damaged wires, to be cleaned or replaced.

I took the cluster out of the dash and then re attached it. I could not find any pinched or loose wires. I trook it for a short test drive and the cluster seems to be working so far. Tomorrow I will be driving it 75 miles and will report back. I bought the XJ from a car dealer that was going to put it through a car auction and there is no express warranty(Bought it out the back dooe at a steal). So, I will be taking the wipers apart and checking if the motors are new or replacements. So I will check them out and see if that is the issue

I haven't had the loss of cluster issue during my 75 mile ride to work this morning. I will inspect the transfer case in regards to the 4x4 light and will also check the wiper motors at somepoint this week and will report back. Thanks for everyones help thus far. I thank and apperciate all of those that have responded to my questions so quickly.

the wipers only work in Low and High position. I am waiting to deal with it on Sunday afternoon to deal with the wipers. The cluster seems to be working just fine since I took XJ&TJ4ME suggestion.

Update:

I bought a wiper motor and assembly plus wiper switch from a guy that is parting out his 2001 XJ Sport. I will install them this weekend and let you know what happens

UPDATE: I took apart the steering column and put in the wiper switch/stalk from the 2001 XJ and the wipers park and work just fine. If anyone is having the same issues that I had, I would replace the stalk first. Thanks for everyone's help

My speedometer and all gauges in the cluster stop working and the airbag light goes on still , but only when it rains or the jeep is wet in the winter time. I am able to get the dash cluster to start working again if I pull on the windshield wiper stalk to spray windshield wiper fluid. I could careless about this, but I plan on selling the Jeep and want everything to be in perfect running order. Any suggestions? Also any suggestions of someone that could look at this issue and fix it for me that is in the MA or RI area?

Back