• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive train locked up on hill?

HMGanja

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I tried searching and found nothing but a bunch of classifieds. Second, I put this in Modified Tech because the Jeep has a 2in BB. Now my situation: I went to the mountains this weekend for my moms wedding. Her driveway is sloped pretty good (obviously) and thats were I parked. When I went to leave, I put the E-brake down, put in drive, and it felt just like I left the e-brake up. I mean the truck would not move! I said screw it and gave it about 1/3 throttle and it "broke loose". There was a violent POP and we were off. I did not have a problem on the 3.5hr trip back. I have no idea what it was and the weather is soooo crappy I cant go out and take a look. Does anyone have a idea or had experience with this before? Thanks for reading. BTW: her driveway goes down and I backed in. So the front was higher than the rear if it helps the diagnosis.

Last edited:
Rear brakes may have seized to the drums,thats fairly common.

Wow, never thought of that. Was thinking more on the lines of a u-joint, but thinking about it, I had pulled the e-brake up pretty good. Thanks for your reply.

I agree with RCP. Especially since you said the weather was crappy. If it was wet weather rain or snow, and your jeep sits wet for a day or so, the drums rust up quickly and the shoes expand a little. It will pop loose when you apply the power. It happens to me several times a month over here, and we always have shitty weather. Front and rear brakes will grab pretty hard also the first time you use them until it scrubs the corrosion and rust off.

I wouldnt think twice about it, it happens.

~James

Thanks guys, it makes sense now. We actually drove threw a creek about 10in deep earlier that day that was frozen execpt for the path threw. So there is the water(rust) and put that on top of 15degree weather..... And I also noticed the grabbing once I had left. Thanks again guys, my Jeeps not used to the COLD!

Back