• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radiator drain plug

METAL MONKEY

NAXJA Forum User
So I noticed antifreeze dripping from the PLASTIC plug, and I though I would check to make sure it was tight. Well, it broke off!:passgas:

How do I remove the remainder of it? Will a screw out work?
It is a CSF radiator, will any standard plug from a radiator shop or napa fit?

TIA

It should be fairly standard - I don't think there's but a half-dozen different radiator drain plugs out there, offhand.

I'd punch or centre-drill the thing (no sense in wandering off track - especially there!) and use a left-hand drill bit to remove. The LH twist should bite into the thing and spin it right out.

I don't know offhand if you can score one in brass or copper - but it's worth looking into. If I had enough "meat" on the bung it threaded into, I'd overtap it in the next pipe thread up and install a pipe plug instead - but that's just me.

I don't know offhand if you can score one in brass or copper - but it's worth looking into. If I had enough "meat" on the bung it threaded into, I'd overtap it in the next pipe thread up and install a pipe plug instead - but that's just me.

I ended up doing the same thing to mine when the plastic one broke. I tapped it to 1/4" pipe thread and put a brass plug in it.

I ended up doing the same thing to mine when the plastic one broke. I tapped it to 1/4" pipe thread and put a brass plug in it.

Really? I rather like that idea (I'm thinking MPT-MPT elbow and a 1/4-turn ball valve tho. Should eliminate fiddling around with the wrench when I want to drain the thing, no?)

When I got my new all metal CSF it had a plastic petcock (drain plug), it was either 1/8" or 1/4" pipe thread, don't remember. I replaced it with a brass one I got from ACE Hardware before I even installed the rad. Once you get the thing out, I'd suggest replacing it with brass.

Don't like plastic engine parts

So, a 1/4" npt tap and a brass plug will work. Do I need to tape the threads or put a rubber washer on as well?

So, a 1/4" npt tap and a brass plug will work. Do I need to tape the threads or put a rubber washer on as well?

A pipe plug is tapered, and usually does not have a shoulder. So, no rubber washer.

A little PTFE dope won't hurt (I prefer dope/paste over thread - I find it easier to deal with,) although tapered pipe threads are theoretically supposed to seal via an interference fit.

"It was a beautiful theory, until it was attacked by a rampaging group of facts."

A pipe plug is tapered, and usually does not have a shoulder. So, no rubber washer.

A little PTFE dope won't hurt (I prefer dope/paste over thread - I find it easier to deal with,) although tapered pipe threads are theoretically supposed to seal via an interference fit.

"It was a beautiful theory, until it was attacked by a rampaging group of facts."

Great! I'll be making a trip to ACE. I'll report back what I find.

So, I ended up having to remove the radiator to be able to tap the bung. There wasn't enough room to get the drill or a tap in; maybe even too tight for a right angle drill. I tapped it to a 1/4" npt and installed a draincock.

BTW, is a petcock and draincock the same?

Back