• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

change transmission fluid

MR. XJ

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys

just a question on if it's a good idea to change the fluid on my auto transmission or not it has 83,000 miles. I have a 99 xj on a 6.5" lift running 35" tires with 4.88 gears on the axles this is my dayly driver.

thanks

Juan G

If you think you should, you should change it. It's no harder than changing the oil (actually, easier if you don't drop the pan and change the screen.)

There are several good threads on here about how to go about this and what-not.

If money isn't any issue, do a trans flush. Aw4's are great transmissions. It might not be necessary, but with 83k, it's cheap insurance. With the proper maintenance, they will go 300k, unless you have my luck:laugh3:

Thanks for the advice, my jeep runs good. The reason that I'm asking is I see other jeeps with the same setup and they can spin the tires on the street and I can't.

Thanks

Juan

MR. XJ said:
Thanks for the advice, my jeep runs good. The reason that I'm asking is I see other jeeps with the same setup and they can spin the tires on the street and I can't.

Thanks

Juan
don't worry, mine can't either :)

man, of all the reasons to change the tranny fluid, that's too funny. but the answer is yes, change it.heck, i've changed mine 5 times in 25k miles. it's so clean, you could drink it!!!

I've had this same question but mine has 168,000 on it and probably has been at least 50,000 miles IF EVER that its had the tranny fluid changed...you think it would mess it up?

xj9687 said:
I've had this same question but mine has 168,000 on it and probably has been at least 50,000 miles IF EVER that its had the tranny fluid changed...you think it would mess it up?

you dont think its been changed in 168,000 miles? lets ask this quesiton. would you go 168,000 miles with out changing your oil?haha

if you take your dipstick for tranny fluid out and the fluid is black and smells like... its burt. youll know this smell when you smell it. Its a good sign that you need to change your fluid a few thousand miles ago. After you change it drive like 4 miles and then change it again. There is still about 4 qts. still within the tranny after you drain the pan.

I wounder when the last time my tranny fluid has been changed, and Im at 214,000 and it still spins the wheels and runs cool. I love my AW4.

I have 114k on my 98 and the transmission fluid is kinda dark not red and it dont smell at all it smells like regular transmission fluid. you think i should change it and get it flushed? or get a regular fluid changed. i blieve it was changed 10k ago. I might be mistaken i have to look at the receipts again.

What does burnt oil smell like, right now it smells like melted crayons, specifically the color macoronni :p

Is there a taste test aswell?

XJoshua said:
What does burnt oil smell like, right now it smells like melted crayons, specifically the color macoronni :p

well... I supose, you could taste some new fluid and then taste whats in your pan. then guess to how diferent the taste is. I dont recomend this method nor do I know if it is effective or not. But if you realy want to try that method let me know how it works out. I wouldent suggest swallowing it or leaving it in your mouth for too long. haha

best way to describe the smell of burt ATF. Rotten eggs? i guess burt crayons could describe it also. however never having burt a crayon its hard to say. If one were avalable id try it but no such luck.

For the 5$ it cost for a gallon of dIII ATF it dosent hurt to change it even for the fun of it.

XJoshua said:

Burnt ATF is one of the foulest smells on the planet. you'd notice if it had gone awry.

yea i really dont know i got it from my dad with 134 and he couldnt remember if it was every changed. but i checked it the other day and its full and looks clearish on the dipstick but i think im gonna get it done

Doesnt smell like rotten eggs yet. Im pretty sure mine will need the pan to come off, and have the filter replaced. Might do that twice in one day just to garantee its clean.

XJoshua said:
Doesnt smell like rotten eggs yet. Im pretty sure mine will need the pan to come off, and have the filter replaced. Might do that twice in one day just to garantee its clean.

I wouldn't pull the pan. There is no filter in there, just a screen.
There is a drain plug that makes it easy.
I have done it two ways. The first is to dump the transmission fluid every oil change (twice a year) which partially changes the fluid every time and my preffered method of disconnecting a cooling line and doing a complete fluid replacement.
Last time I did it I used Valvoline Dexron III for high mileage cars.
If you choose the first method, carefully measure how much you took out and pour in the exact amount.

Back