• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix no start - weak spark, going nuts

Lightfoot

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so im still working on my 90 4.0, and it still will not start. Here is the deal: The engine gets fuel, i can hear the pump cycle, and the plugs are wet if i crank for a long time. The engine does not fire with starting fluid. I have 12-13v at the big yellow wire on the ICM. I tested the cps and its was within spec. I have also replaced the coil. I get spark from the coil, but it is weak and yellow. Plugs are new and gapped. I have cleaned every ground I can find, and put on wires and a cap from a jeep that runs really well. I can not think of anything else that may lead to weak spark. I have not done a compression test, but it does have compression according to the thumb-over-hole method. Ive searched this forum many times, and still can not come up with anything else. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.
Thank you
John

Test your voltage at the yellow wire at the ICM, while cranking the engine. Check the ohms in your coil to cap wire. Check that the contacts from the module to the coil aren't stretched and making iffy contact. Check the module ground. In fact test the yellow wire (for voltage) with the key in the run position using the module ground and not a chassis or battery ground.
Weak spark is usually low voltage to the module or high resistance in the plug wires, particularly the coil to cap wire. Sometimes a coil to cap wire will also leak off a substantial part of the spark (high voltage) you usually find this the hard way or another methode at night as dark as possible look at the cables with the motor turning over, you can often see shorts to ground running down the cables or jumping from cable to cable.

Last edited:
Wet fouling the plugs will get you every time. Once they get soaked, you are better to just put a cheap set of Champions. I have seen this dozens of time.

I love them Champions, they work so much better than everything else on the market

Back