• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are the tolerances for fuel injector resistance?

akxj01

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '01 and the FSM states the spec. is 12 ohms. How far above and below would still be acceptable? I am having some misfires lately and 3 of the cylinders are at about 29 ohms, while the other 3 are at 12 ohms. I have looked into all other possibilities ( I think) for these misfires. I went to the junkyard to day and pulled 6 injectors which all read 12 ohms (for $20). I am going to throw them in the misfiring injectors anyway to see what happens. I just was wondering what the tolerances are for resistance.

Our injectors are "high impedance" and should measure 12-16ohms. 29 is definitely too high, and I would replace them.

gradon is right.

Just curious did the spark plugs look different? If the resistance is really that high, they may not be opening as quick or as fully as the other injectors. That would make those three cylinders run leaner.

I would replace them. If you're doing the junkyard thing, I'd replace the whole set. There are a few other threads about other injectors from 5.0 Mustangs for example, that might be a better swap that oem.

Just curious did the spark plugs look different? If the resistance is really that high, they may not be opening as quick or as fully as the other injectors. That would make those three cylinders run leaner.

I would replace them. If you're doing the junkyard thing, I'd replace the whole set. There are a few other threads about other injectors from 5.0 Mustangs for example, that might be a better swap that oem.
I had just replaced the plugs right before I started having these misfires, and did not see anything odd about the plugs.

I just don't have the money to buy new injectors, and the guys at junkyard by me always give me good prices on stuff. They did not have any mustangs there. I have read that the injectors on later XJ's (I have an '01) have the same performance as the mustang injectors, altoughI am not sure about that (I believe read that somewhere, but I misunderstood it).

Also, does anyone know if the injector on the '01 have a screen that can be taken out and cleaned? The injectors from the other XJ's are different that the '01, and I am not sure when they switched to the injectors that are on mine. I thought I would 'sacrifice' one of the bad injectors to see if I can pull it apart to clean the screen (if there is a screen).

Back