• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil leak not the OFA w/pics

49erRider

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I just changed out all my o-rings from my OFA so I know its not that, well those needed to be changed to but I still have some leakage. Its leaking right at the bottom of the transmission.

Heres a picture:

DSCN0955.jpg

Its dirty but right under the bolt you can see the bit of "puddle" building up. Any ideas as to where I should check?

Thanks,

Brad

Ok so I just changed out all my o-rings from my OFA so I know its not that, well those needed to be changed to but I still have some leakage. Its leaking right at the bottom of the transmission.

Its dirty but right under the bolt you can see the bit of "puddle" building up. Any ideas as to where I should check?

Thanks,

Brad
Brad,
Just out of curiousity sake, can we get the year of your Jeep? The problem with your situation is that judging from your picture it could be a number of things. The oil filter adapter was a good place to start. The next most likely would be a rear main seal, but that spot where it's gathering could be a leak from almost anywhere that has blown back. I would start suspecting a valve cover gasket after the rear main as it can drip all the way down the engine. Otherwise you can start checking areas like the distributor o-ring and front main seal (behind the harmonic balancer). Those last 2 are much less likely since they are located further forward, but still, oil blowing back is not out of the question. Good luck.
-Collin

Rear main? There are a couple different things that it could be. Follow the leak up and you'll find it. I always take and simple green the entire area around the leak to clean it up good before I start looking. Wait a day and then chase the leak. How much oil are you loosing per weak? Good Luck

Ok, well I'm new to jeeps so I really am unsure of what everyone means when they say "rear main" I did feel up behind my valve cover and it looks like i have some leakage back behind my left rear bolts. If someone could give me a thread or some info on how to check/fix the rear main that would be great. Its just a few drops not to much at all.

I guess I'll go ahead and order a crown valve cover as I've read good things about them and for just 100 bucks it comes with the gasket as well. Still unsure of what the rear main seal is. Thanks.

The rear main seal is the seal for the crankshaft. It is a PIA to change. You probably dont need a whole new valve cover, it is probably just the gasket. You can get a new gasket for a whole lot cheaper than $100.

Looks like the gasket is 31.99 vs 100 for the new valve cover and gaskets etc.. is there much benefit I would get for getting the crown instead. I heard its less prone to leak than just putting a gasket on the stocker.

Looks like the gasket is 31.99 vs 100 for the new valve cover and gaskets etc.. is there much benefit I would get for getting the crown instead. I heard its less prone to leak than just putting a gasket on the stocker.
The only difference is you would be switching from a stamped steel back to an aluminum cover like the earlier 4.0s used. Some say this quiets valvetrain noise, I have noticed no effect. I personally like the stamped steel type better and as long as you drop the $32 or whatever for the expensive gasket and don't crush it by torquing the bolts too tight, it will not leak.

thanks for the advice, god I keep looking at that picture and it looks disgusting. Need to get that cleaned up.

Still not sure i'll price the gaskets and see about just getting the crown or keeping it OG.

Got the rear main seal done and that took care of it. Now its leaking out of the rear of the transmission where the driveshaft meets it. 2wd model.

Any ideas?

I couldn't find a part number for a rear output seal on an automatic transmission. Also does anyone have a how to on this one? thanks.

No write-up necessary.

1. remove rear driveshaft by unbolting it at the rear axle and sliding it out of the transmission. Some fluid might come out so be ready for that.

2. with a screwdriver pry the old seal out. Clean the mating surface, put some silicone where the outside of the seal meets the transmission and slowly tap the new seal in. Make sure it stays flat. Once that is done put the driveshaft back in and top off your transmission fluid accordingly...

Hey thanks, any chance on finding a part number or link for the seal on a 2000 XJ 2wd auto. Everything just looks like its for a transfercase but since I don't have one. Is it the same seal?

Last edited:
fyi on the valve cover gaskets.... stay away from the cheap cork stuff... the nicer felpro rubber stuff has anti-squishing washers, is re-usable, and is MUCH easier to install....

cork = crap

Back