• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shocks on a RE 3.5" kit

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well folks, I am in the process of installing a RE 3.5" Super-Ride kit on my 97XJ. I opted for not replacing the shocks right away. However, last night we only got the rear done and it became apparent very quickly that new shocks are in order.

I do not have much of a budget anymore so I'm looking for a good deal on decent quality shocks. I was told to look for hydro shocks since I really don't god wheeling all that often, and my rig is still my DD. What am I looking for in terms of size etc? Anyone have some high recommendations or links they can share? I have read the OME shocks are excellent, but those are way beyond my price range. Thanks much for any help

what is your price range?

the rough country shocks are ok.

re twin tubes would do the job.

obviously if you have the money look into RE mono tubes or bilstein 5100s.

I would prefer to only spend about $100 on a set max

well I was just looking on Rough Country's website and they sell the "Hydro 8000 Series" for $30 each. Are they any good? That would get me a full set for $120ish which is a reasonable price for me, I just don't know if they're any good?

imo, for cheapish shocks, pro comp es3000's are not too bad. they ride well, are a step above stock, and come up all the time for 30-ish bucks a piece.

and those are the right size for my lift?

oh ok. How do you know what size? As in, if I were going to order them, what should I look for? I'm sorry Im quite new to this and have never ordered new shocks.

i think you would need a 10 inch travel shock for that much lift but can not remember

rustys also sells the same type oh hydro shock - they are ok but getting a good set of nitrogen shocks makes a great difference on and off road

I have the RE 3.5" lift and run Pro Comp ES3000 shocks. Awesome ride, great quality shock. Have run them on all my lifted jeeps. Cost $100 for all 4, including mud boots, from 4 wheel parts. (They'll try to charge you $150, but just negotiate it down to $100. I saved $200 on my RE lift by negotiating with them as well)

If you want cheap search on "Monroe shocks". Lots of $20 options for front and rear especially at your lift.

John

Thanks for the advice all. I decided to go with the procomps.

I didn't buy the kit with the shocks because I found a seller on ebay selling it without the shocks for slightly less than most sites and with free shipping. I had been told by a friend that new shocks might not be needed right away so I held off. I am in college and lack money most of the time, but they're definitely needed so now I must buy em.

another reason not to buy direct from RE. everytime ive bought a re kit its come from a retailer that does offer shock advice, and they were re monotubes, you'd think re would... my mistake..

Thanks for the advice all. I decided to go with the procomps.

good choice. for $100 for the set, you can't beat these shocks. To get to the local trails where I am you have to drive about 10 miles on these horrible dirt roads that are not maintained so they are washboard, huge ruts/potholes, and I cruise down them at 30 mph with no swaybars at all and the jeep handles fine.

Back