• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick alternator help please

RIVER RAT

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 XJ 4.0 motor with the nippondenso alternator. What's the black plastic box thing bolted to the two terminals on the back? Voltage regulator or noise suppressor? HELP!

That "black plastic box" probably has three leads coming out of it - one to the B+ post (black surround) and two to the field coils (paried studs with a grey surround.) Chrysler likes to use moulded rubber blocks to locate terminals that go in groups - you'll probably see something similar on your starter motor solenoid. This helps prevent mixing up the leads (not that the leads on the starter motor can be mixed up - one is 8AWG with a 3/8" ring, and the other is 14AWG with a #10 ring. That tells me something about ChryCo techs that I don't care to contemplate...)

The regulator for your alternator is actually in the PCM (Powertrain Control Module,) and not anywhere near the alternator proper. If you had a noise suppressor (capacitor/condenser,) it would be a small metal can - about 1/2" by a shade over 1" long - attached between the B+ post and the alternator case.

OK thanks 5-90. The alt died and I see it's externally regulated but I had no idea where the external regulator would be, and that P.O.S plastic worried me.

Back