• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to test crankshaft sensor with multimeter

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I will preface this by saying i'm an idiot, with that aside, all I have is a multimeter and I would like to check to see if my cps is bad where do I hold the black lead and where do I put the red one? :twak:

5pq0rt.png

For an ohm test the lead color is irrelevant for this test.
My CPS was bad even though the "B" and "C" tested infinite. I had something like .2 ohms of resistance between "A" and "B" and it was deader than dog poop. It may have been a fluke, it tested OK by the book and was still bad.

okay so I only have to use one lead?????? and lay it across the two pins or touch them seperately, that's where my confusion is

okay so I only have to use one lead?????? and lay it across the two pins or touch them seperately, that's where my confusion is
OHM meter tests resistance, you need both leads. In effect what an ohm meter does, is send a voltage through one lead, through resistance, out the other lead and measures the voltage drop, then calculates the ohms.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-an-Ohmmeter

popped it open and got 2.92M so I'm guessing that's in the thousands....it didn't read infinite, does that mean it's bad? BTW this is one I had sitting around, not the one in the jeep, too freaking cold out today

alright, I hope the one in the jeep is good then

thanks guys

yea thats low resistance..unlimited reads as OL usually

The M means Megaohms, so his reading was 2,920,000 ohms. That's high resistance and this test passed.

I think they called for the 10k ohms scale because anything above a few hundred kohms is acceptable. You're basically just looking for something shorted (low or zero ohms resistance).

Just to confirm, we are talking about your 1996 XJ? The older renix (non-HO) jeeps used a different sensor that should measure 200ohms.

Back