• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locker install

98_XJ_Classic

NAXJA Forum User
Ok for someone with little mechanic experience, on a scale from 1 - 10 10 being the hardest, how hard is it to install rear and or front lockers on a d30 and d35

Last edited:
If your skill is 11, its not worth it on a d35.

Now that's funny, don't care who you are...

The difficulty depends on which type of locker you're installing. Mechanically speaking, they're not that difficult to install, but if your particular locker in any way requires you to reset your gears they're very difficult to install right.

If you are talking about lunch box lockers, then they aren't too bad, you will have to take out the carrier in the D30 at least, I've never worked with a D35.

Full carrier lockers are a heck of a lot harder, as you will have to completey set up new gears, which is not the easiest thing to do.

Hear is a good write up for a lunchbox locker in a D30.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99710&highlight=spider+gear+install

Full carrier lockers are a heck of a lot harder, as you will have to completey set up new gears
No,you only have reset the backlash,and thats the easy half.

A friend and I installed an Aussie in my Dana 44 and it was somewhat tough. The carrier was a pain to get out. We ended up hooking a strap around it and putting a hi lift against the bumper and pulling it out. It just wouldn't come out any other way. After that I ran into not having the right size shims/Thrust Washers. The stock ones were cracked and didn't provide the correct clearences. So make sure you buy some different size extras just in case.

i wouldnt waste money beefing up a d35 just my opinion. i put a lockright in my frond d30 and it was a pain in the ass without the case spreader. the d30 center section has like .010 pre load for the carrier bearings so if you dont have the spreader you have tp beat the shit out of it with a BFH and a block of wood

Needing a spreader on a D30,thats funny as shit!!!

Just pulled my ARB on my D30 to replace axle seals. Thought it would be tight, but I removed the caps and the locker almost fell out on the garage floor.

man mine was a pain in the ass. it definately did not just slide in like i have heard some poeples have. i have been running the locker for over 1500 miles and alot were wheelin' and 4 hi snow driving. i have had no problems. before you bash on a kid thats tryin to learn, realize that maybe my install went a little different than yours have.

Back