• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newer tailgate switch-a-roo???

Bandit-117

NAXJA Forum User
Ok... Here's my thought. I have an '87 Cherokee Base version, with a messed up tailgate. I was wondering if I could swap in a newer(88-96 not after 97 of course) tailgate, such as the ones with the wiper, added taillight, and defogger into my Jeep. My Jeep seems to have all the wiring and does have the tailgate washer hose running to the back. Can the newer(90-96) tailgates go right in? Or did Jeep change sizes slightly? Is the striker the same? One more thing, will the black trim found around the windshield and grill fit mine as well? Any measurements or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Ok... Here's my thought. I have an '87 Cherokee Base version, with a messed up tailgate. I was wondering if I could swap in a newer(88-96 not after 97 of course) tailgate, such as the ones with the wiper, added taillight, and defogger into my Jeep. My Jeep seems to have all the wiring and does have the tailgate washer hose running to the back. Can the newer(90-96) tailgates go right in? Or did Jeep change sizes slightly? Is the striker the same? One more thing, will the black trim found around the windshield and grill fit mine as well? Any measurements or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

The design of the tailgate changed exactly once - 1996/1997 break. The later tailgates are made of steel, and accommodate the more rounded taillamp assemblies (and a few other changes.)

You should have no trouble getting an "older" liftgate - 1984-1986 - with what you want and dropping it in. Just make sure all of the wires are "live" - and you'll also need to get the window washer reservoir from the donor rig (the versions with the rear window wiper have two pumps on the reservoir.)

He could use any hatch 84-96 I believe.

97+ has obviously the steel construction, different strut mounting points, and hinges that are on the inside of the roof, not on the outside top like prior.

And provisions for the smaller rounded headlights as mentioned.

Although I do not believe the rear body of the XJ changed....I wonder what all would have to be done (besides new hinges and strut mounts) to mount up a newer style hatch and newer style taillights to an older XJ.

I have not seen it attempted yet, although there are plenty of 97+ header panel, fender, and door swaps from 97+ to pre 97.

Somebody should try it sometime. If you've got fabrication skills and welding skills as well as time (how long can this XJ be down?) maybe you can try it and let us know how it went. I'd be interested to hear, as well as I'm sure plenty of the other individuals who swapped the newer style front ends onto their older XJ's. It would be the final touche :)

Yeah, that would be cool to do such a project. As for me though, no fab and weld skills yet, but maybe in the future. Thanks though for your input guys, should be dropping by the junkyard to see if anything is available.

It is possible that you wouldn't need to weld anything. After all the old style hinges are still bolted through the roof, as are the new...except the new style likely uses studs so there is no bolt head on the top of the roof. You could use some good hardware and just have bolt heads sticking out the top of the roof to mount the interior hatch hinges.

And for the taillights, maybe you could just use some self tappers or something to mount them to the old taillight "buckets"

Up to you though if you want to do a "test" fit or whatnot.

Well, found out today all my wires are hot and good to go, I even have a relay for my wiper motor already in back. Found a tailgate(just going with the older model) at a junkyard for $150, no damage, tinted glass, wiper and defogger. Is that a good price? It's not a pull it yourself junkyard, which would have been nice.

Last edited:
Back