• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 4.0 has sat for 14mos, any advice?

CameronB

NAXJA Forum User
The poor '95 xj has been sitting with a dead alt. and batt., and has not run in 14 months.
I'm reviving her and would like advice on proper procedures/precautions etc.

My thinking is to drain the oil first, add Seafoam to the new oil, and through the plug holes to the upper cylinder, and then turning it over with the coil disconnected a few times.

Sound right? The oil in there is still pretty clean.
Mileage is 235K.

Thanks

in my opinion i'd prolly go the same route, but i dont know about the sea foam... i'd also possibly drain the fuel UNLESS you put some stabil in there. cuz after a year im betting the fuel went bad.

I wouldn't worry about changing the oil. It would be better to run it 500 miles or so and then change it. The gas is what you should worry about (like MaxxXY said). Turning it over some without the coil to pump the oil around wouldn't hurt. If you wanted to get fancy, you could put a few squirts of oil in each cylinder, crank it a little and put the spark plugs back in. That would lube the rings and cyl walls.

X2 on spinning the oil pump then replace the distributor. Then pull the plugs, couple shots of oil--I would use Marvel Mystery, put fresh engine oil will work, crank it over with the plugs out (might want to lay a towel over them spark plug holes to catch the oil pumped out) and crank it with your freshly charged battery and recently cleaned and tightened positive and negative cables. Put a couple gallons of clean gas in the tank, rock the body to slosh it around, then give it a try. :eyes:

=) i didnt spin the distributor on this eclipse i brought back to life that was dead for like 2 years... i jump started it i ran it and got it home then i changed the oil in it and dont even think i changed the gas... but the owners daughter wanted it back after she found out it ran again... so i gave it back ( its a good thing too that thing had a horrible rattle to the motor like a lifter was stickin)

I took a motor out of an xj that hadn't been started in 5 years - swapped it in to my xj and fired it up (fresh oil change) - there is no precautions to starting up a car that hasnt run in a long time - cars that sit on dealer lots for a long time BRAND NEW and the battery is dead and everything else and they just jump start it and away it goes for a test drive - no need to be so anal with these things

Once you get it up and running with some new gas just change the filters. If your going to use seafoam I would suggest half in the gas tank and half in the TB (SLOWLY WHILE RUNNING)after the engine dies out just keep pouring wait about 15-20 minutes and then continue to start it back up...please be in a open field or rural area. The fog will be intense.

i'd just remove the spark plugs and disconnect the fuel pump fuse and crank for a good 20 seconds or so, plugs back in, fuse back in. and fire her up. Thats being safe. point of removing the plugs is to minimize any stress the rod bearings see during cranking. plus it will spin faster and not over load the starter at all for the 20 seconds or so.

but like another poster said, you can always just fire it up and it will be fine! the above is just being a bit cautious.

Thanks,

I just wanted to make sure I don't do any unneccesary damage, rings etc...
As soon as I locate a 136 amp alt, I'll be startin her up. But I do think that I'll put a bit of seafoam through the plug holes and in the fuel to be safe. She's got high mileage.

:cool:

My Jeep has sat from Jan 07 till july 07 then from nov 07 till july 08 and from july 08 till now being in the army and deployed its not been driven more then driven since i've owned it. Keep the oil clean and fuel stabilizer and it'll run. no need for all this other stuff unless you never kept maitnece up on your truck, at that point you cant recondition the engine.

Back