• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some questions about alloy axle shafts

I'm trying to prepare my XJ to run in the deepest rocks possible with 31" tires. I have a non-disconnect D30 and a D44. I'll have a 4:1 t-case in soon, and I know I need stronger axleshafts, at least in the front.

My first question is about D30 alloys. The only complete set I can find is the Alloy USA chromoly shafts (these). Are there others out there? Do I need chromo shafts, or are there less expensive alloys that would hold up on 31s? I may just get these chromo shafts, but I'd appreciate some opinions first. If it makes a difference, I'm planning to get an Aussie Locker.

My other question is about D44 alloys. At what point is it necessary to upgrade to alloy shafts in an XJ D44? Should I just find a spare set of stock shafts and not worry about it? I have an LSD, and probably won't upgrade to a real locker in the near future.

Check out Crash's "Gears and Axle Swaps" thread at the top of the Mod Tech page. He gives great info and recommendations for different setups.

Unless you are really hard on the throttle, stock shafts with a set of spicer 760s should easily hold up to 31s in the rocks. I ran stock shafts and u joints on my Dana 30 with 31s and 32s with a lockrite for several years and never had a problem with shafts or joints. You just gotta make sure you keep up with maintaining everything like checking fluids, greasing the bearings, watching for the caps spinning in the shafts... I got rid of my Dana 30 because of housing failure and wearing out bearings plus the brakes suck with bigger tires. I never had a problem with the shafts or joints.

I ride with several people who have the USA Alloy shafts in their Dana 30s and they have yet to have a problem with them running 36s. I have USA Alloy inner shafts in my HP Dana 44 and havnt had a problem with them.

AARON

Last edited:
my stock shafts are doing fine with 36's and a detroit. no deep rocks though. other than a leaky seal im happy with it. if i were you i wouldnt waste my time with 30 spline alloys with 31" tires save up and do a locker/33 splines if you ever go bigger. warn inners and outers for the front with hubs :thumbup:

Here is one thing to consider. The bigger the tire, the bigger the contact patch. That means the more torque it will take to break traction, and the more torque that can be put to the ground. If that torque surpasses the torque the shaft will take, it will break before the tire will slip. 31s are not that big of a deal. Lots of people run 35s with stock D30s. That is at the limit but still... Since you have not said you plan on going to 35s in the future, I would think that alloys would be a big waste of money. You could put a cool sticker on your rig though.

Dirt Surfer said:
Since you have not said you plan on going to 35s in the future
If I went to 35s, it wouldn't be on a D30. I may move up to 33s (or 34s) in a year or so, though.

I think I've been convinced to not get alloys at the moment. Money's tight enough as a college student.

Just remember you saw my blown 297 joint at NACfest with only 30" tires, but I did have a locker to help with that...:rolleyes:

If you're still looking at alloys at all, get ahold of Rawbrown on here. He's an NAXJA sponsor and a great guy to do business with. I picked up some Yukon alloy shafts with 760's and full circle clips from him for a great price. Since I put them in I've gone to 33's and have NOT been gentle with them, no problems so far!

I've decided to get a locker for my 44 as well. I'm going to go with a mini-spool. Should I upgrade to alloy shafts? I'm thinking it's a good idea, since I'd have to get spare shafts anyway. Thoughts?

Mambeu said:
Cool, thanks guys. Maybe I'll just grab a new set of stock shafts with 297 u-joints. That'd save me several hundred dollars.

that works, i still have the factory 297x shaft in the driver side and my passenger was shot when i bought it so its just a replacement, when i had 33's my foot found the floor often and i wasn't afraid to heat up the tires to grip the rocks (a necessity here in the south) just don't let your rig start bouncing when your in it and youll be fine, o yeah and expecially on yours being lighter than the new body style it will help a lot too.

as far as the 44 shafts i ran in the same rig a welded 8.25 and NEVER had any problems same driving style, i always carried spares but never had a chance to use them and the shafts in my new 44 are slighly larger and have less taper so they should in theory be even stronger.

its all in how you drive, not the parts you put under it.......

Back