• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will this fit on my xj?

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i want to buy a defender safari rack for my jeep... well its 4.5ft wide x 6.5 ft long x 4" tall... im curious if it will fit if not how big can i go, i want to be able to fit my spare up there ( 235/75/15 bfg m/t) and still have room for an ice chest or 2 and my bags

this is what my stock rack looks like... the length, so how long can i get away with?
IMG_0202.jpg

i can also gutter mount the rack if needed and if its any stronger.

... well either way... idk how to turn em around even if they were... i'd have better luck taking the rack off and gutter mounting the rack.... but even then is a gutter mounted rack better than a factory roof rack?

I have a full length factory roof rack with all the cross bars you can have. It's afout a foot longer than the one you have.

Honestly, you should be able to figure this out on your own. Mount it up and see if it fits. If it doesn't and you can't mod it to fit, then it obviously won't fit.
take measurements. calculate.

because i know it will FIT length wise... but i dont know if that extra foot or two hanging over the front will matter all that much.

a foot of overhang on the front of the rack shouldn't matter/cause problems, but your crossbars ARE mounted backwards. To turn them around, take the endcap off the rack ( I think it's a torx) and loosen the next two or so fasteners to allow the end of the rail to lift up. Pull the endcap off the rail, turn the rack around and mount up the defender safari rack.

a foot of overhang on the front of the rack shouldn't matter/cause problems, but your crossbars ARE mounted backwards. To turn them around, take the endcap off the rack ( I think it's a torx) and loosen the next two or so fasteners to allow the end of the rail to lift up. Pull the endcap off the rail, turn the rack around and mount up the defender safari rack.

sweet thanks for the advice man... at least u provide help unlike some fools in here... but i dont name drop so its cool.

Oh, so this is a "dreaming" thread...

:laugh2:

no this is a give me 30 days or less to round up the cash thread... im pretty sure unlike you, i got the cash to buy what i want. i just buy in moderation so when something breaks fails or i need money in a pinch i'll always have it... just like your coils ur selling in another thread... i would of bought those but you offered them to someone else because he's a member when i actually had cash in hand and would of drove to fresno to get them...

Back