• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I modify my Chrysler 8.25 or buy a modified D35?

kevermt

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 27 spline chrysler 8.25. Found a dana 35 with a detroit tru trac, 4:88 gears w/ 1000 miles and clean break-in , new brakes and 28 spline shafts for $400. My question is if I should buy the Dana35 or put 2x the money into my chrysler 8.25 or other?
I'm running 35s , auto, 4.0, 6" lift and 4wheel in deep snow w/ very little rock crawling. Not a daily driver. Dana 35 owner ran 35s for two years w/ no breaks wheeling it conservatively. Am I gonna break this set up? Its a heck of a deal but is it worth it? Any thoughts?

That 27 spline 8.25 is stronger than that 35. Build the 8.25 swap in the 29 spline shafts and your good, no deeper gearing than 456 i dont think.

don't build a 27... the 29 spline carrier is different, as are the spiders and stuff. just get a 29 from a JY, build it outside of the jeep and swap the axle when you're done. or get a 44 and do the same.

the dana 35 is evil and must be punished. so toss it and do a 8.25 with the 29 spline.

I'm pretty sure you can use axles and carrier from a 29 spline chryco 8.25 maybe someone will chime in with a definite. And Nitro gear makes 4.88's for the 8.25. You can only get them through just differentials who just so happens to be an NAXJA sponsor.

The 35 housing has a lot of flex and would be a total waste of money to build.
Id do the 8.25 even if you installed a set of 27 spline yukon shafts would be better than the 35.

So the d35 is a p.o.s.? I gathered that from my research but I was hoping for another answer. I guess thats why he's selling it for $400. Thanks for the info guys. Anyone else wanna chime in? I probably won't try to find a D44 but rather build the existing stock chrysler 8.25.

Anyone else wanna chime in.

if you have a d35 with a locker and running 35's and your spinning both wheels and one of the wheels grabs, the diff housing is going to flex like a rubber banb and snap an axle or gear. this is if it doesnt snap an axle shaft pulling out of your driveway.

its not what you want to here, but its the truth about the d35. fine for a stock vehicle, but not good if built up.

if you rebuild your 8.25, upgrade to 29 spline shafts(new carrier is needed)

If you run that D35 with your set up it will fold like a taco

That 27 spline 8.25 is stronger than that 35. Build the 8.25 swap in the 29 spline shafts and your good, no deeper gearing than 456 i dont think.

You can run 4.88s in a 8.25. and that d30 will break in time. run some chromo 29 spline shafts in the 8.25 and your good on 35s. If you dont want to spend the money some stock 29 spline shafts will do fine. my friend wheels 35s conservatively on a 8.25 with 27 spline shafts though so you might be straight with those.

So the d35 is a p.o.s.? I gathered that from my research but I was hoping for another answer. I guess thats why he's selling it for $400. Thanks for the info guys. Anyone else wanna chime in? I probably won't try to find a D44 but rather build the existing stock chrysler 8.25.
If you already have a 8.25 a 44d is somewhat a waste of time... If you put in a case locker or regear to 4.10+ then buy a case for 29 spline axles and buy some used stock axles. If your not going bigger than 33s then just run your stock 27 spline.

stick w/ the 8.25, tons of people abuse it hard.

however, if you had done ANY research on the dana 35, you wouldve known this from the get go. there isnt a single thread about a d35 that doesnt contain people talking trash about it.

you need to use the search

I actually swapped my stock 29 spline for a 27 spline that was geared, locked and has Chromo shafts...And, I run 35 krawlers with my foot into it with NO problems so far.

Just do the 8.25 and stay away from the D35...It Will break, not if it will.

8.25 is AWESOME just put some 29 splined shafts in her and go with it

And weld the tubes to the pumpkin to keep this from happening. :)

288522842405_0_BG.jpg

Back