• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights out on 87 XJ Wagoneer

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
My son's 87 XJ had the headlights go out on him on the way home f/work last night. He told me that the headlights had flickered and then just went out. He also smelled a burning scent, similar to plastic or wiring buring. I went out and checked the fuses under the dash and they look good, however I don't know where the fuse/relay is for the headlights.

I'm guessing it's the wiper/cruise/hi-low swith in the steering column that's gone bad. The wipers still work, but the hi-low toggle hasn't worked in over a couple months.

Any ideas as to what to look for or a way to test the switch would be appreciated.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Any ideas or suggestions? Is there a relay under the hood somewhere? I pulled the headlights off and there is no power to the lights.

Thanks for any and all help.

Also, how do you get to the switch to remove/replace? Here's a couple pics

87XYCruiseWiperSwitch003.jpg

87XYCruiseWiperSwitch002.jpg

Might be the headlamp switch. There is a breaker in there. It might have just given up completely.

Power feed into HDLAMP switch -- RD/WT
Power out of switch into Hi/lo stalk -- TN/BK
Lo-beam out of stalk -- VT/WT
Hi-beam out of stalk -- PK/LG or RD/OR

Is the headlamp switch the pullout black switch on the lower left side of the steering column?

If you pull out once the parking and tail lights come on, but if you pull out fully, no headlights. Could this still be the problem?

Also, where is the breaker? Thanks.

Redsnake said:
Is the headlamp switch the pullout black switch on the lower left side of the steering column?
Yes
If you pull out once the parking and tail lights come on, but if you pull out fully, no headlights. Could this still be the problem?
So far, so good -- that's how it's suppose to behave.
Also, where is the breaker?
Built into the switch -- do not know if it's serviceable.
You're welcome.

if the headlight switch (the black pull-out switch) is bad and I replace that, will I be able to use the hi-low switch (that controls wipers, cruise, etc...) or will that need to be replaced as well?

Would this be worth trying to find at a salvage or just buy a new OE part?

Thanks again all

Buy new - junkyard electronics are usually a bit sketchy, and you don't know what their history is (and the new switch should be relatively inexpensive anyhow. You can check the aftermarket as well - I think Borg/Warner makes a useful replacement...) Besides, factor in the time you're probably going to spend looking, and you'll come out ahead just getting a new one.

You should be able to use your dip switch with no trouble after replacing the headlamp switch - they're two different switches.

By the way - if you do end up having to replace the dip/full switch, it's not in the upper column - it's screwed to the lower column (on top, down by the firewall) next to the ignition switch. There's an operating rod that runs down to it from the stalk, and it usually requires a bit of adjustment if you have to replace it (haven't done one in a while, but if it's anything like the ignition switch, it should go easily...)

5-90

definately buy new, but you may also want to check your headlights, something was causing a buildup of resistance to burn out the wire... just a suggestion.

by the way, i LOVE xj wagoneers. great looking rigs

rocklandxjer said:
definately buy new, but you may also want to check your headlights, something was causing a buildup of resistance to burn out the wire... just a suggestion.

by the way, i LOVE xj wagoneers. great looking rigs

While a good idea, I didn't see any trouble with my 87 and my 89 Limited when i changed the switches (I took everything apart for postmotem examination...) Mostly, the switches just get old.

Good advice - but after checking everything, start saving your nickels for a headlamp harness. I haven't gotten mine into prototype yet (probably later - I've been putting out fires for months...) but there are a few out there that I'd buy. The idea is to take the load off of the headlamp switch, and have it just turn on relays (which are cheaper and easier to replace.)

5-90

FOLLOW-UP:

Ok, I replaced the Headlight Switch and the headlights still don't come on. The running lights and interior lights come on, but NOT the darn headlight switch.

It appears that the dip/full switch may be bad or burned out. Is there a way to check this? It appears to be a bit burnt, if that's the correct term. I've attached a pic. Should the black part be able to be removed f/the white part pictured below, because it won't come out and appears to be somewhat soldered in... if that's a good discription.

87XYLightSwitch003.jpg

Also, is there a fuse/circuit/breaker (whatever it's called) that is for the headlights? If so, where is it located? Could it be one of the ones I show in the pics below?

87XYLightSwitch005a.jpg

87XYLightSwitch006.jpg

It is useless for my son to have this Jeep for driving to work and such if there are NO headlights. This is getting expensive.

Thanks.

Back