• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Place to Buy Paint?

99xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Never painted a car before (other than rattle cans) but my little beater XJ needs olive drab, I already know I do NOT want rattle can it. I can’t find anything on the forums about where to buy decent paint. Basically all I know from reading is that I don’t want lacquer based paint. Where have you all gotten paint from? How much should I get to cover an entire XJ?
Thanks

i work at a paint and body shop supply jobber. jobbers are definitely the way to go. personally i like basf being that i sell it and im used to it. i hear sherwin williams auto paint is crap. cant speak for any others personally. you can google basf refinish, sherwin williams, ppg, dupont and whoever else and you should be able to mess around on the site and find a dealer or jobber near you. (go basf all the way)

sorry, depending on how much you want to spend on the xj you can go for a base/clear or a single stage (integrated clearoat), the latter being cheaper. but more often than not theres different grades of each, a low end , middle of the road, or a high end. you get better quality and longer life out of the higher end, subsequently you also spend more. sometimes price will depend on color. some lines have a structured pricing outline others go by color (whites and blacks cheaper than yellows and reds) the difference is when youre deal with a structured price base its more expensive for whites and blacks than in the line that goes by pigment. but when you get into the yellows and reds in the price by pigment lines its cheaper to go with the structed price lines. (usually low end are price by pigment, high end is structured)

Back