• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better Manual, Haynes or Chilton?

TomSwift

NAXJA Forum User
I guess I'm gonna have to spend some money on a manual cause I gave up trying to find any downloads. Seems Chrysler is all over the place monitoring these things.

I can't get the factory one right now so anyone got any opinions on the alternatives?

Chilton's, hands down. I've got both (in addition to a number of FSMs,) and I've found that the Chilton's is useful for information while you're working, and the Haynes is useful for propping things up a little less than an inch (like workbench legs you haven't gotten around to remaking) when you need something...

5-90

Ever try buying one instead of finding a bootleg copy? eBay or www.techauthority.com - if you want to spend money on a lesser manual a Chilton would suffice I suppose.

Yucca-Man said:
Ever try buying one instead of finding a bootleg copy? eBay or www.techauthority.com - if you want to spend money on a lesser manual a Chilton would suffice I suppose.
Yeah I have been there and when I've got $90+ to spend I am gonna get the real deal. For now the more I spend on the book the less I've got for the part I need.

I have found factory manuals for other stuff before with some work looking around, I have purchased them as well.

What I don't get about Chrysler is that they don't just give em away.

A big reason that there is a market for the new model Jeeps is its heritage and the presence of all the badass classics that are still on the road and going strong. The yuppies that these new models are geered for are only there because of this. More older Jeeps on the road = more advertising.

Thanks for the input on the thread. I am gonna get the chilton for now.

Last edited:
The FSM is the best, with an FSM you don't need those other ones.

You used to be able to download a 00, 93 and an 88 (mostly complete) on the web. But do to copyright regulations and all, they cannot be gotten now.
Buying a FSM would be prudent. The years are usually grouped such as a 97-01 are similar (but not exactly the same).
This site has an XJ parts catalog and some other stuff:
http://www.lunghd.com/Downloads_and_Links/Downloads.htm

Best regards.

Back