• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting auto engine in manual xj

NorcalXJnewbie

NAXJA Forum User
I am swapping out my bad engine for a engine that came from an automatic xj.

It's a 89 manual xj, I have an ax 15 but I think the current tranny is different. do I need to complete this swap? I was thinking obviously clutch pressure plate, flywheel. Isn't there some kind of spot on the flywheel that the cps uses that needs to align up correcly?

lets get this straight, you have an 89 with a 5 speed. the ba-10 was used up to 89 1/2 and the ax-15 was used after 89 1/2. the engine you want to use is out of an 89 with the aw4? if so, all you need to do is swap in a new pilot bearing, the flywheel from the manual trans engine, and possibly the tps from the engine with the manual trans. you might as well use the throtlle body because the engine with the aw4 will have tran linkage(tv) cable on the throttle body.

im assuming you have an 89 and the engine your swapping in is an 89.

AX-15 like GL-3 gear oil (low sulphur content - sulphur is antagonistic to yellow metals. Like the bronze synchroniser rings...)

If you've converted to get the AX-15 in there, then you had the Peugeot BA-10/5 - which is barely worth scrap (it is mainly aluminum, after all, but you've got to tear the thing to bits to get any money out of it.)

Note that earlier AX-15s (up to at least 1990) have the same size pilot bushing/bearing as the BA-10 - if you're going to swap, say, a 1990 engine with AX-15 into your rig, you don't really have to do anything but swap the engine.

As I recall, the pilot for the torque converter on the AW4 is different - I don't recall that there's actually a bearing or a bushing in there in the first place. If there isn't, and the pilot bore is the same size in the crank, just grab a new bushing. In fact, this would be a good excuse to change your clutch, if it hasn't been done for quite a while - you're there anyhow, no?

AX-15 like GL-3 gear oil (low sulphur content - sulphur is antagonistic to yellow metals. Like the bronze synchroniser rings...)

If you've converted to get the AX-15 in there, then you had the Peugeot BA-10/5 - which is barely worth scrap (it is mainly aluminum, after all, but you've got to tear the thing to bits to get any money out of it.)

Note that earlier AX-15s (up to at least 1990) have the same size pilot bushing/bearing as the BA-10 - if you're going to swap, say, a 1990 engine with AX-15 into your rig, you don't really have to do anything but swap the engine.

As I recall, the pilot for the torque converter on the AW4 is different - I don't recall that there's actually a bearing or a bushing in there in the first place. If there isn't, and the pilot bore is the same size in the crank, just grab a new bushing. In fact, this would be a good excuse to change your clutch, if it hasn't been done for quite a while - you're there anyhow, no?

I had a BA10/5 out of an 88 that I got for the motor and I was going to scrap the trans but for the heck of it I put it on ebay with a buy it now of $100 and it sold - the guy came and got it next day cash in hand - i was very surpised

I had a BA10/5 out of an 88 that I got for the motor and I was going to scrap the trans but for the heck of it I put it on ebay with a buy it now of $100 and it sold - the guy came and got it next day cash in hand - i was very surpised

?!?

So am I. I've been through /four/ of the wretched things (don't think I got $100 all up for them as dissociated scrap...) and I was lucky enough to have picked them all up for the trip out to get them. Farthest I had to go was up to Foresthill (thanks, CRASH!)

Picked up the AX-15 to replace it gratis as well - my wife took me there and I drove my new transmission home (the rest of the rig is going into "research" for my work...) So far, I've been very lucky!

The only transmission I've actually had to shell out something for is the external AX-15 that I picked up most recently (the one I had was internal, and I wanted to get away from that whole damned system...) - swapped for a cableset.

My preference is for a decent synthetic such as Redline MTL-90. You probably don't see too many sub-zero mornings in Stockton, but a good synthetic makes a huge difference in shifting when the tranny is cold.

Back