• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar flag nut

goalieman24

NAXJA Forum User
On the axle end of the track bar, with the bolt and "flag nut"...
The end of the bolt broke off in the nut.

Would it be safe to get a replacement nut(high-grade) and weld it to a piece of metal, similar to the factory set-up?
I found all of the thread pitch/length information... just wondering if this is an adequate fix to this problem.

sounds fine to me. the nut does the work, not the flag.

yeah bud, just get a grade 8 one from a hardware store, and you can stick a box wrench up in there if you turn the wrench over and use the closed side, dont worry about welding anything on there unless you just feel like doin some welding.

did this one mine a while back, that flag dies in everyones jeep.

you can just barely get a wrench in there to hold a nut on the end, when my flag nut died i put a nut in there and it held for a while, then one night on a drive i went to turn and nothing happened. now its double nutted for safety

you can just barely get a wrench in there to hold a nut on the end, when my flag nut died i put a nut in there and it held for a while, then one night on a drive i went to turn and nothing happened. now its double nutted for safety

be sure to put it on tight and you may want to to use a jam nut behind that, i didnt and mine fell off going 40 it wasnt pretty.

Whats the difference between it falling off with a new nut vs. falling off with the factory piece... potential either way right?
The flag nut doesn't really have any locking part to it, correct?

When I put a new bushing in my old RE trackbar, I had to use a 1/2 bolt, and I had no problem getting the nut on there nice and tight, or getting a hand wrench in there to tighten it. No problems with it loosening at all in the year and a half of it on.

No need for welding on the flag.

And nylocks are really only good for a single use, and are also known to loosen up with vibration. The better fastener here would be a nut that's been punched on the sides (look for a round or rectangular punch mark) to make a mechanical deformation in the nut. Those won't loosen up like a nylock will.

And nylocks are really only good for a single use, and are also known to loosen up with vibration. The better fastener here would be a nut that's been punched on the sides (look for a round or rectangular punch mark) to make a mechanical deformation in the nut. Those won't loosen up like a nylock will.

wouldnt it be much easier to simply use a little thread lock if you're worried about it coming loose?

the flag is most likely there just to make manufacturing easier/cheaper since they don't need someone to wrestle a wrench in there. they could just hit it with a calibrated air rachet and boom its done

the flag is most likely there just to make manufacturing easier/cheaper since they don't need someone to wrestle a wrench in there. they could just hit it with a calibrated air rachet and boom its done
bingo.

Back