• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harbor Freight Tire Mounting Tool

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Just a heads up that this tool rocks. It's $50 (full price) well spent.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

More pictures here: http://events.sequoia4x4.com/v/20060923-tiremount/

There was a bit of a learning curve at first with mounting but once I got used to it I was able to easily mount the 35's. As for dismount EASY as you can get. The bead broke with almost no effort and pulling the tire off the rim is easy as well.

I am G. Sequoia Armstrong, and I approve of this tool. :laugh3:

balancing? thats the only reason i don't buy a tool like that, i still have to pay to get them balanced

oh by the way, where'd u get it, i likey :D

First of all I'm not convinced that I'm going to do standard balancing, I may be going to internal.

Second the mounting is much more expensive than the balancing.

Third I got it from Harbor Freight.

$50 is worth it ! I do my own tires too.. but I dont have a changer, my father has a old manual tire changer that is pretty simlar to yours. Did you have any trouble seating the beads after mounting those new tires ? I did.. when I mounted my interco mt's. But I did eventually figure out a way to do it. For the balancing.. I didnt bother.. I dont have any bad vibrations going down the hwy at 60mph. Faster than that.. I'll probably get some vibes, but I dont go that fast. I did look into internal balancing - powder type. But, I figured it's not worth the trouble - with the powder, you'd feel the powder balancing out every time you take off from a stop. I wonder if my tires will wear funny ? I dont put that many miles on them anyway.. and only want to use them for off roading.

I had no probles seating the beads with my CO2 set at about 125psi. I'm sure it'll also work well with my compressor but I was too lazy to haul it out of the garage and plug it in.

I've got the same one, on Lawn Chair's recommendation. Works pretty darn good, But I had to mount mine to a big piece of plywood to keep it from walking around.

I used this when mounting my 37" boggers, the extra thick sidewall made it a pain, but they still went on.

shortxjdoug said:
balancing? thats the only reason i don't buy a tool like that, i still have to pay to get them balanced

oh by the way, where'd u get it, i likey :D

not if you use airsoft pellets to internally balance your tires. i don't balance them any other way. do it once and you never have to balance again till you get new tires.

scorpio_vette said:
not if you use airsoft pellets to internally balance your tires. i don't balance them any other way. do it once and you never have to balance again till you get new tires.

is it working for you? cause we have had trouble with it...... but those were bias ply swampers, maybe that had something to do with it

shortxjdoug said:
is it working for you? cause we have had trouble with it...... but those were bias ply swampers, maybe that had something to do with it

daily driver 95XJ with 31's and average 300-400miles a week, and 97TJ with 33's and same mileage, and i've been running the airsoft pellets for about a year. it's been great since the beginning, and even after several offroad events, the balance is perfect.

my XJ had some vibs at first, but turns out i had some other issues that where causing the vibs. i love being able to wheel in mud and rocks and not have to worry about whether or not i need to balance my tires afterwards. plus when i used to run regular weights, i wanted to see how badly the wear on aggressive thread tires was on balance, so i checked it about 4 months after i balanced them, and they were about 1/2oz off. now with the airsofts, i've been riding for a year and they feel just as good as they did on day 1.

best investment i made for my tires was the harbor freight tire changer and airsoft pellets from walmart.

scorpio_vette said:
daily driver 95XJ with 31's and average 300-400miles a week, and 97TJ with 33's and same mileage, and i've been running the airsoft pellets for about a year. it's been great since the beginning, and even after several offroad events, the balance is perfect.

my XJ had some vibs at first, but turns out i had some other issues that where causing the vibs. i love being able to wheel in mud and rocks and not have to worry about whether or not i need to balance my tires afterwards. plus when i used to run regular weights, i wanted to see how badly the wear on aggressive thread tires was on balance, so i checked it about 4 months after i balanced them, and they were about 1/2oz off. now with the airsofts, i've been riding for a year and they feel just as good as they did on day 1.

best investment i made for my tires was the harbor freight tire changer and airsoft pellets from walmart.

this is very encouraging, i think im gonna start pulling up the couch cushions and get my own hf tire tool

DrMoab said:
What are those tires Geoff?

Oh and a can of starter fluid and a match will seat any tire.

recommending something like this on the internet is very stupid and can get people injured. even if you "know how to do it properly", it's still very dangerous. for somebody that doesn't know how to do it, and simply goes by a one liner that says "starter fluid and a match will seat a tire", it's an ER visit waiting to happen.

that method should only be used in very extreme emergencies and only if you know how. there are other ways that you can seat the bead on tires using nothing more than a regular air compressor and a air chuck that you use for inflating your tires.

Back