• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Brush Guard Mounting Brackets

School Bus Man

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings!

I recently picked up an OEM Brush Guard (gently used) for my 1999 Cherokee Classic.

There doesn't appear to be any mounting brackets for this brush guard and I'm slightly perplexxed as the dealership was completely useless and was only wanting to sell me a new jeep or a new brushguard for my old jeep. (I hate dealerships)

The Brushguard is for a late model 97 or newer XJ and I was looking at a 2001 - the front end looks the same as far as how it is mounted.

So does anyone know how these things mount up and where I might locate some mounting brackets?

I would greatly appreciate any information or assistance anyone could provide.

Thanks and have an awesome week!

Mike :sure:

Please either reply to this thread or shoot me an email to
[email protected]
No spam or non-related emails please.

I just went thru my 98's factory service manual and there is no mention of the grill guard, no mention of the factory hidden winch mount, all that is shown is the hooks front and rear plus their mounting brackets. No mention of the guard.

Have you stuck it up against the front to get an idea of the mounting points ?

School Bus Man said:
Greetings!

I recently picked up an OEM Brush Guard (gently used) for my 1999 Cherokee Classic.

There doesn't appear to be any mounting brackets for this brush guard and I'm slightly perplexxed as the dealership was completely useless and was only wanting to sell me a new jeep or a new brushguard for my old jeep. (I hate dealerships)

The Brushguard is for a late model 97 or newer XJ and I was looking at a 2001 - the front end looks the same as far as how it is mounted.

So does anyone know how these things mount up and where I might locate some mounting brackets?

I would greatly appreciate any information or assistance anyone could provide.

Thanks and have an awesome week!

Mike :sure:

Please either reply to this thread or shoot me an email to
[email protected]
No spam or non-related emails please.

Hello,
The following is the only info I have on the OEM brush guard. I think I was told at one time that it mounts to the OEM tow hook brackets, but I could be wrong. There has been a few people that have asked about them and with a search you may be able to ask others how they installed theres. Hope this helps.

Brush.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Guys!

I'll look further into that - I hadn't thought about the tow hook theory.

I did hold it up and even seated it on the bumper - but it appeared that there was two points (one on each side) in which I could mount the guard - however it could only be reached with some sort of angle bracket as the guard mounting position is horizontal & the mounting location is vertical.

I'll look more thoroughly in the AM to see if perhaps I overlooked something.

THanks again - let me know if you think of something else

Have a great week!

Mike

School Bus Man said:
Thanks Guys!

I'll look further into that - I hadn't thought about the tow hook theory.

I did hold it up and even seated it on the bumper - but it appeared that there was two points (one on each side) in which I could mount the guard - however it could only be reached with some sort of angle bracket as the guard mounting position is horizontal & the mounting location is vertical.

I'll look more thoroughly in the AM to see if perhaps I overlooked something.

THanks again - let me know if you think of something else

Have a great week!

Mike
Just guessing but it is possible that it ties into the tow hook brackets somehow. The 97+'s have no holes in the bumpers except under the end caps and under the front, it's been a while since I had my front apart that far. If the guard mount points end up anywhere near the slots for the front hooks then it would not suprise me if it went in there. I've not seen a factory guard, they were pretty much made for looks and very light brush and the price was a deterrent.
You want something like an ARB or Custom 4x4 or maybe the tomken which stretches across the whole nose for deer sized critters. Generally the bolt on guards are relatively weak for impacts, even the custom4x4 and Tomken, the ARB is welded. I've seen a TJ that slammed a deer at 70+ mph and other than a lot of hair, meat and blood all the way back to the windshield there was no physical damage but then they build them for kangaroos. :D

Back