• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 jeep xj overheating

ranger570

NAXJA Forum User
i just cant figure it out my 4.0 89 cherokee keeps overheating and shuttin off but the water pump isnt leakin and my head gasket isnt leakin but whenever it overheats it pushes coolant out the reservoir an i just replaced the cap with a new right psi cap someplease help:speepin:

Shutting off? Do you mean that it gets so hot that it actually stops the engine? How hot (in # of degrees) is the engine getting?

Do you still have the pressure bottle on the passenger side high on the firewall? If it is puking fluid, you probably have a cracked bottle. If you don't have the bottle then it has been converted.

How hot?

When was the last time it was serviced? FLUSH out.. Are you running a 50/50 mix?
Did you burp the rad? How old is your t-stat? Did you open the heater valve when you burp it? Did you change the hoses? I'll think of more.. These will cause your jeep to run hot...

well in temp it goes above 260 degrees
Does it have a preference of when it does it? Idling, freeway, stop and go traffic? How quickly does it come up? Does the electric fan come on when it's hot?

assuming the cooling system is still all original, i would go ahead and replace just about everything. that way you start fresh and know you wont have to change anything in the near future. and while youre at it you could convert to an open system.

assuming the cooling system is still all original, i would go ahead and replace just about everything. that way you start fresh and know you wont have to change anything in the near future. and while youre at it you could convert to an open system.

That's a great idea if your independantly wealthy. I personally don't have the kind of money it takes to support that and I doubt most people on this forum do. Although it is a good idea to replace the radiator if it's clogged, there is probably only one thing causing his problem.

there is probably only one thing causing his problem.

until there is more information given by the OP, i dont think it can only be pointed at one thing. could be a number of things, clogged rad, bad bottle and or cap, bad WP, who knows. all we know is its overheating. i suggested the best solution as i do not know his personal financial standing.

Back