• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 in a 2WD XJ?

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
My pinion bearing in 97 8.25 is shot and the lowest quote I can get is 400 plus parts. (Gotta love SF Bay Area prices). I've found a D35 for 30 bucks. I've read that the D35 is a weak axle. Would it be good for a 2WD application that obviously will never go off road or see bigger than stock tires.

I'd run it while looking for something else. If you do grenade it you're only out $30 & a little time. JIM.

I'm betting it will work fine for a 2wd as long as its not a Jeep speed rig or something.

i have a d35 with 33 inch tires, ran it pretty hard this season with no failure to speak of, considering its original equipment on original size tires, you will be completely fine

The D35 that I found is out of a 88. Will I have any issues swapping it in?

none that i know of, except you might have driveshaft length issues since the d35 pinion is shorter than 8.25. you might be able to re-use the wider 8.25 ubolts, but the axle tube diameter on the d35 is smaller.

the 88 will be d35c(c for custom) non c-clip with 10"drums as opposed to the 9" on the 8.25.

Back