• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee parts on Cherokee

Glockedxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 xj, 230,000 miles, 4.5" Rusty's lift, 32x11.50 at's. I have a chance to buy a 97 grand cherokee limited for parts, $500, no reverse. I know the seats will swap to the xj. I have a few other questions.

1. If it has the 4.0 will it swap to the xj with no major problems?
2. Will the rear springs swap to the xj? My top leafs are rearching over the second leaf.
3. Any chance of a locker or limited slip? The xj has the 8.25

Trying to get my money's worth.
Thanks for any help.

1. If it has the 4.0 will it swap to the xj with no major problems?
It could be done but there is alot of extra work required, It all depends on what you consider major work!
Use the search function & you will come up with a few threads that will explain the issues in detail.

2. Will the rear springs swap to the xj? My top leafs are rearching over the second leaf.
All GCs have Coil Springs front & rear. So You are out of Luck.

3. Any chance of a locker or limited slip? The xj has the 8.25
GCs came with a D35 or D44 in the rear, So if there is a locker in the axle it will not fit in your 8.25, And I would not bother with an axle swap, GC D44s suck, Jeep used some lightweight parts in them that makes them fail alot. And All D35s suck.

Good Luck!

1. Yes it will, but with tranny problems it is probably a V8
2. Yes, if you want to link the rear and add coil buckets....ZJ's have coils all the way around.
3. It is possible. You will have to open the case. Doubtful it has a locker, but maybe limited slip.

You can use the tie rod because it is much stronger than the stock XJ rod. You may also be able to use it's higher amp alternator.

1. Yes it will, but with tranny problems it is probably a V8
2. Yes, if you want to link the rear and add coil buckets....ZJ's have coils all the way around.
3. It is possible. You will have to open the case. Doubtful it has a locker, but maybe limited slip.

You can use the tie rod because it is much stronger than the stock XJ rod. You may also be able to use it's higher amp alternator.

The v8 model Grand Cherokee steering is the stronger one......not the 4.0 model.

Back