• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil problems.

sumrandomsk8er

NAXJA Forum User
89' xj 4.0 laredo. 266000 miles on it.stock now. 4inch lift and tires this weekend. Just picked it two weeks ago. Drove it 80 miles home with out a problem. next day got all the stuff and gave it a tune up. while changing out the thermostat i cracked a couple housings. just a quick fixed i dumped a gallon and a half of water and about a gallon of anti freeze. Now Im gettin anti freeze into my oil that was noticed on the dip stick. Oil has also backed up into my coolant resevoir. I first put six quarts in . and im gettin a bad oil burning smell and just put 5 more in yesterday. It got into the 20s when i put the water in. It has not over heated and has not lost power. Would this be from a cracked block or maybe head gasket?

You cracked a couple of thermostat housings? You put in six quarts of oil, and added five more or is it all coolant that you are adding? Sounds like a head gasket. Haven't heard much about cracked blocks, but heads crack and head gaskets get blown out. Did you put in the water without anti-freeze?

This matches the exact symptoms that I see on boats when not winterized (cracked block or head) properly. You may or may not see some external cracking and may or may not see a frost plug popped out partially. That would be the first thing that I would check. It is always a good idea to mix your anti-freeze before installing for this very reason. How did you crack a couple of housings? A pressure test would definately tell you a lot.

Umm yeah I thought that there was only one housing, its at the front of the engine. unless you are reffering to the mixer valve as a housing as well.

Umm yeah I thought that there was only one housing, its at the front of the engine. unless you are reffering to the mixer valve as a housing as well.

I think that he means that he broke one, replaced it, and broke the replacement, then replaced it with sucess the 3rd time, but I could be wrong.

I think that he means that he broke one, replaced it, and broke the replacement, then replaced it with sucess the 3rd time, but I could be wrong.

Yeah thats what happened, I was over tightening them and they would crack. I did that a couple times and by then a lot of my coolant had drained. So just to cover until the next day I replaced it with water. But it got extremely cold that night.

You cracked a couple of thermostat housings? You put in six quarts of oil, and added five more or is it all coolant that you are adding? Sounds like a head gasket. Haven't heard much about cracked blocks, but heads crack and head gaskets get blown out. Did you put in the water without anti-freeze?

I put six quarts of oil right after my tune up. Then five quarts of oil yesterday. Every time I check my oil it reads below the add line. So I keep putting more. But it seems to be burning up. And for the coolant. I put one gallon of coolant and one gallon of water at first. Then when it all kept coming out of the thermostat housing I would just keep topping it off with water.

If you're burning oil like that, your plugs would be fouling. Pull them and take a look. If certain ones are oily and others are good, that gives you more information. But from what you're saying, I'd start looking for a good used motor.

Back