• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TCU in '97+

97XJ2

NAXJA Forum User
Where do I get to the TCU in the 97+? I plan on doing the gojeep writeup on installing the 2nd gear switch. Curious if anyone has done that, since there is an airbag up top and the glovebox on the lower half.

Where do I get to the TCU in the 97+? I plan on doing the gojeep writeup on installing the 2nd gear switch. Curious if anyone has done that, since there is an airbag up top and the glovebox on the lower half.
The TCU in a 97+ is by the transmission hump on the driver's side behind the dash. It has it's own harness coming in through the firewall approximately towards the middle-driver's side of the firewall. Hope this helps.

The TCU is built into the engine computer on the late-model jeeps. You have to cut into the harness where it seperates to go down to the trans, or at the transmission plugs. Be aware, if you do this mod, every time you hit the switch, it'll throw a code and turn the check engine light on.

I know about the CEL. But is that same plug that go jeep uses behind there somewhere?

Edit: Didn't see BigSlvr's post. So instead of behind the glove box the plug that I want to splice into is over on the driver's side.

I know about the CEL. But is that same plug that go jeep uses behind there somewhere?

Edit: Didn't see BigSlvr's post. So instead of behind the glove box the plug that I want to splice into is over on the driver's side.
I don't know what you guys are referring to with this mod, because I've really never read much about it. All I can tell you is the TCU is up behind the dash on the driver's side near the middle. Sorry I can't be of more help with the actual mod itself.

I tried this on my 2001. It did NOT work.

Everything was wired right, but it just turned off the tcu and sent the tranny into 1st.

It was a big headache too, because one wire slipped, shorted, and fried the tcu.

$65 later for a JY tcu, back to stock, and no switch. I'd leave it alone, but if you can get it to work, please let me know, I'd love to try again.

Back