• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

horsepower for less $

greenday9d1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to modify my cherokee on a fairly low income, so i'm trying to figure out what i should do that would increase horsepower but not cost to much (which means simple enough that i could install it myself). I've already installed a throttle body spacer and a new exhaust manifold, and i'd like to know what other things i could do for not too much money that would increase my power. thanks!

A couple universal speed-tricks:

#1 is losing weight... anything that isn't making your ride quicker is probably slowing it down... If you plan to buy new wheels, light alloys are better than steel. Ounces add up to pounds, and losing pounds offsets other mods or adds performance.

#2 minimize parasitic losses. You could do away with the A/C (if equipped) and change to synthetic oil in the engine, manual trans, and axle(s) if your rig is fairly oil tight.

My XJ has most of the interior stripped out... (left the dash, console, front seats, and door trim) mainly since it sees some mud use & I don't tote more than 1 passenger.

Dude u gotta get Nos! havnt you seen fast and the furious? And get some big-ass vinal stickers, that adds mad ponies!

MonsterXJ said:
Dude u gotta get Nos! havnt you seen fast and the furious? And get some big-ass vinal stickers, that adds mad ponies!

stfu n00b

you can make your own intake, dynomax or rustys catback for 92+ is 130, and boring your own tb aint hard

As a great fan of homebrew mods, I say do as many as you can. As far as cheap HP mods go, here's a list:

1. Homebrew FIPK (like mine on my website) +5hp
2. Self-bored 60mm TB +3hp
3. Self-bored 62mm TB spacer +2hp
4. Dynomax Super Turbo 2.25" cat-back from Summit Racing $120 +6hp
5. Carsound high-flow cat (when your old one expires) +2hp
6. Custom 2.25" exhaust downpipe +5hp

That's a cheap and very easy 20+hp. The stock downpipe has lots of crimps in it, so chop it out about 6" below the flange at one end and 6" from the cat at the other end. Then weld in a new uncrimped section of pipe in between. A good muffler shop can do ths for you.
Like Woody said, you can also remove some unnecessary weight for further performance gains. Each 100lb removed is like gaining 6hp and it's free. Here's what you can remove:

1. Gas tank skid 32lb
2. Engine skid 18lb
3. TC skid 10lb
4. Roof rack bars 13lb
5. Spare wheel 50lb
6. Dual electric fan conversion 5lb
7. Floor mats 5lb
8. Jack, jack handle, and lug nut wrench 10lb
9. Rear seat bottom 20lb
10. Front driveshaft 20lb
11. Fibreglass hood saves 15lb
12. 1/4 tank of fuel saves 85lb

You could also remove the A/C compressor and condenser, charcoal canister, screen wash bottle, and a few other odds and sods. Removing weight from the front is more advantageous than removing it from the back.

Sorry to jack the thread, but anyone know where to get, or who makes, fiberglass hoods for the XJ? As a starving college student, Im probably not in the market just yet (that's alot of beer money), but would like to know for future reference. Also is there any disadvantages to kicking the charcoal canister? Will I screw up emmisions or dirty my engine bay if i take it out? And last question, I promise, is there any danger in removing the gas tank skid? My RWD wonder will never see real offroading. Muchos gracious.

I removed my gas tank skid, front skid, roof rack bars, plastic engine undertray, and clutch fan. My Borla header/downpipe is 7lb lighter than the stock manifold/downpipe and my Flowmaster muffler is 7lb lighter than the stock muffler, so my XJ is about 85lb lighter than stock.
No harm in removing the gas tank skid except that the gas tank will be more vulnerable to damage if your Jeep gets rearended.

JeepSpeed said:
Sorry to jack the thread, but anyone know where to get, or who makes, fiberglass hoods for the XJ? As a starving college student, Im probably not in the market just yet (that's alot of beer money), but would like to know for future reference. Also is there any disadvantages to kicking the charcoal canister? Will I screw up emmisions or dirty my engine bay if i take it out? And last question, I promise, is there any danger in removing the gas tank skid? My RWD wonder will never see real offroading. Muchos gracious.

usbody.com has a slick looking hood, expensive though

not sure of who makes a stock replacement one...(in fiberglass)

My AC doesnt work right now anyway, but dies the drivebelt tighten eough to cover that?

also if i get a bored out throttle body, will i need a larger bore throttle body spacer?

greenday9d1 said:
also if i get a bored out throttle body, will i need a larger bore throttle body spacer?

yeah, if you want gains ;)

A/C delete

greenday9d1 said:
My AC doesnt work right now anyway, but dies the drivebelt tighten eough to cover that?

No, but just snag an Idler pulley & bracket from a non-AC equipped Jeep with the same motor.

I've done some of these. My catback is just a short little straight pipe from Autozone...need to work on that.:) At least it fits the cheap, light and free flowing criteria.

I also stripped out the interior. I even removed the passenger's side of the dash. Headliner, conlsole, carpet door panels, etc...all gone. All I left was 2 seats and some trim around my head. I wish race seats were easier to bolt into an XJ.

I'd like to ditch the charcoal canister. I'd like some instructions before I begin.

I'd also like to either (a) remove the front driveshaft, or (b) convert it to RWD. Please point me to the proper thread.:lol:

I want to keep the A/C, but it ain't-a-workin' so it might have to go. Got a pic, part#, price of the A/C idler?

I don't mind spending a little money on the Jeep cause I got it for free, but I want to see how much I can build it up on a 'ghetto' budget. I like seeing my co-workers get freaked out when they see the empty interior.:D

Aspera-

I'm moving to the St. Louis area within a few months, and I have a 2wd MJ that I plan on converting to 4wd once I get settled into my new place. If you want, I can pass the 2wd transmission and front axle your way. Is your XJ a 5-spd or auto?

It's an auto.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between the 4WD and 2WD transmissions? Isn't the transfer case a seperate assembly?

There is a different tail piece on the 2wd tranny to make up for the lack of tcase. The slip yoke has to go somewhere:D

2wd slipyokes are longer as well

The MJ has a Pugeot 5-speed (replaced shortly before I bought the truck, and I haven't driven it at all except to move it around on the driveway... shifts very nicely.) I don't suppose you want that then, do you.

Normally I prefer manuals, but I'd rather stick with the auto that it came with. Now if I had a T56 6-speed just sitting in the garage I might consider a conversion.:D

Back