• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 shifting problem

killer98xjsport

NAXJA Forum User
98 xj 176000 miles after driving in 3rd or od, and coming to a stop will not start out in first. Feels like second or third, if I shift into first it will drive and is not slipping. No faults in the pcm for transmission. Anyone ever had this happen with an AW4? Fluid was changed and filter in april.

You can really never be to safe when it comes to your transmission i made that mistake and payed in the long run by replcaing my whole transmission. took about a week and a half to get it all done and even now there are still some BUGS that need to be worked out but start your way there then test sensore such as TPS

Only if I have it in the first second selection will it take off in first like normal. It's always shifted weird after i geared. Right now running 4.56 with 31" tires. But does not explain not going into first at a stop.

Only if I have it in the first second selection will it take off in first like normal. It's always shifted weird after i geared. Right now running 4.56 with 31" tires. But does not explain not going into first at a stop.

since it happened after the regear, maybe its due to the higher rpms from the low gearing, 4.56 with 31's. have you changed the speedo gear. is the speedometer in any way connected to the pcm or tcu? i dont have any idea but it seems that the gearing may be the problem.

This problem is in the last few weeks and I geared last year and after that it always shifted through the gears fast and wanted to stay in od and hunt sometimes on hills. This is a new problem last week or so.

this is happening to my 96 as well... I've dealt with it for a year and just manually shited. I read somwhere that someone had and inline fuse issue. I've tried 2 tcu's, tps, 2 fluid flushes and filter change, it doesn't throw any codes, about to try the speed sensor. Hope that'll work.

Anyone heard of a shift selinoid causing this problem. Was looking through craigslist and found a trans in my area and ad said it needed shift selinoids because it needed to shifted manualy.

Anyone heard of a shift selinoid causing this problem. Was looking through craigslist and found a trans in my area and ad said it needed shift selinoids because it needed to shifted manualy.

Yes, mine has this problem.

Have you tested the TCM and related equipment using THIS document? If not, do so then post results.

I am also having this problem on my '97, no modifications. Just bought it a few weeks ago.

From a dead stop, in Drive, it feels like it's in second. Even flooring it does not force it to down shift, whether already moving, or from a dead stop.
The same happens when the lever is at (3).
Only when you stick it into (1/2) does it kick into first gear from a start.

Anyone have updates on what is causing the problem?

this same exact conversation comes up EVERYTIME someone mentions an aw4 that 'wont shift'... its sad, and lame...

if the aw4 was dry... the tranny wouldnt 'catch'... you'd floor it.. and it'd feel like it was in neutral, or BARELY any 'catch'.... you go nowhere...

the 'wont shift' issues involve the shifting, ie, it'll drive OK in 1, but when it gets to where it'd normally shift... it wont, it'll hang up high in the revs... if you can shift it manually, it indicates grounds or tcu, as the solenoids do the shifting.

ive heard the solenoids arent that hard to change out, but ive never done it, and wouldnt want to do it on the vehicle.

Check your tcu, by getting a code reader.

I got 2 codes, p1698, p0700.

Both point to lack of communication to the tcu.

In your 98, there is NO inline fuse. You may have a blown tranny computer. I replaced mine, and it's fine now.

1. I'd check the TCU, as mentioned prior.
2. If it checks out I would go to the simple stuff (easily overlooked) and adjust the Throttle Valve cable. I find the best way to be pushing the gray button on the cable detent while pulling the plastic sleeve all the way out the back with your hand, then push the throttle pedal all the way to the floor (should hear 2-3 noticeable clicks as it ratchets into place).

I had the exact same problem, went to a scrapyard and picked up a used TCM out of a wrekced cherokee, swapped the tcms and now everything is fine, its located underneath the glove box on the backs side of the lower finish panel

Back