• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Set 10?

Throttle

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm having a wicked time trying to get a part number for a bearing kit for my 89 Dana 44.
I want to replace the outer bearings and from what I've researched, it looks like I need whats called a 'set 10' bearing kit.
Every time I tell my local auto supplier they tell me that they don't know what I'm talking about (stupid high school drop out kids)....
So I researched it a bit more and found individual part numbers for the bearing, and retainer. I got 83503064 for the wheel bearing and 83503077 for the retainer ring. When I told them to look the bearing number up in their system, they said their system refers them to a BR-10 part number which is a unit bearing, not the cone and cup bearing that I need!?!?
Does anyone have any info on different part numbers I can quote?

So what I've found is that the SET10 bearing kit from Timken looks like its a two piece bearing (cone and cup) where the equivalent bearing listed on Timkens website is a BR10 which is a one piece bearing.
Has anyone used the BR10 in place of the SET10 bearing?

BCA bearing is an "A-10" and is a two piece bearing and race assembly. Those are the correct axle shaft bearings for a D-44 and will press on without any problems-- just finished doing it last week.

spaclear.gif

spaclear.gif

Part No.
A10
spaclear.gif
National Bearing Inner; Spicer 44-1HD Warranty: Limited 1 Year*
spaclear.gif

spaclear.gif
$21.99

^^ Partsamerica.com/ Advance Auto Parts can set you up without much trouble
spaclear.gif

spaclear.gif

Last edited:
The early bearings were 1-piece.

I got BR-10's from napa and they are a sealed unit.They were made by timken so I'm sure they are relabled set-10's. After pulling out the old rusted in race on mine I'm glad to have the 1 piece bearings the next time I have to tear it down

Well I ended up ordering them from Jeep 4x4 center. My local auto supplier wanted $20ea for the axle seals, and $70 per bearing... So I will probably recieve the Set 10 kit instead of the BR-10 kit. Personally I kinda like the idea of the one piece bearing, but it was more economical to go with the tapered bearing instead seeing as I was buying the seals online....

Here's the link if anyone is interested

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-axle-differential-parts/dana44-rear-cherokee-xj.htm

I have replaced multiple bearing sets on my D44 and they were SET-10's. I have never used a one piece bearing. It is my understanding the one piece bearings were mainly used on c-clip axles due to the lack of a true retainer plate.

Found this thread in a search for D44 bearing part#'s..

Is there an advantage to either a set10 or one piece design in strength or longevity?

Back