• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Great Debate

Hey folks,

Well, I'm on the hunt for another xj. I got rearended last weekend and the jeep's gonna have to be a write off. There's frame damage in the back and while I can still drive it for now, its bad enough that its not worth fixing.

Ok now here's where the debate comes in. Should I get an auto or a 5-spd? The one I have now is a 5-spd and I love it but there have been certain situations where it would be nice to have the low speed control of an auto. I know that we could probably go back and forth on this all day but my main concern is durability. I appreciate any input you folks might have so don't hold back and if there are any other things that you would look for in a used XJ, Let me know. I know the obvious like rearends and rusted floors etc. but again, any opinions are appreciated.

P.S. The reason I put this in modified tech is because it WILL be modified :D so please take that into account. I'll be shooting for around 6" of lift and 33's or 35's.

Thanks again,

Tristan

id say auto, 5 speed will get old in time. if its not a DD then def a 5 speed. I have a stick and would like to go auto. Normally i wouldnt say this for offroading but the AW4 is a really good transmission

Unless you are going to get the NV 3550 (99 to 01 or maybe just 00 and 01) manual and have great pedal feet, I'd go AW4 + tranny cooler.
The factory towing package has an HD cooling system + tranny cooler + hitch for rear recovery, so maybe look for that?
Otherwise... at 6" and 35s, there won't be anyhting left stock to matter.
I'd just avoid the power options like doors / windows... mine have been nothing but trouble. Oh, and the 97+ trunk latches suck - I've had to un-stick mine a few times now.

I've always had a stick...until I got my 98 XJ. I have to say that I really love the Auto, If I'm stuck in traffic I don't have to shift constantly, and on the trails it's nice not having to work 3 pedals at once.

I've an AX-15 and love it. If mine got totalled tomorrow I'd buy another stick. It's takes some finess in the rocks, and if rock crawling is what you like to do an auto would probably be better. But in all other aspects offroading (mud, trails, uphill, and ESPECIALLY downhill) I prefer a manual transmission.

You guys are wimps. I DDed a 5spd in Atlanta traffic for a 2 years. Thankfully now I'm DDing a 6 speed Xterra, because I don't have to fix the Xterra in parking lots when it breaks.

Back