• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing my side moldings help!

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok... so im sick of seeing that side molding on my jeep, it seems like it catches dirt sand etc... after i rip em off and throw them away, what should i use to take off the excess glue... OR what should i look for before i remove it... im kinda hoping it doesnt remove the paint with it =/

I had to rip off one of the moulding on one door. I used an adhesive remover applied between the door and the moulding and waited for a while. After some minutes I started to pull the mouldingwith a hard plastic sheet...more remover-more plastic sheet, etc....and when the moulding was completely off I cleaned the rests of adhesive from the door with the same remover.

It would be something lke that:
Adhesive%20remover.jpg

so...i was thinking of just grabbing and pulling real hard.. so thats not a good idea i take it lol... i'll try and adhesive remover and a putty knife with duct tape to cover the sharp edges.

im kinda burnt about the rear bumper and its little plastic sides that have hang tabs... imma have the break them off and rhino line it or something.

3M (and I'm sure some other companies) make a rubber adhesive removal attachment for die grinders. It basically looks like a giant cylindrical gummy eraser. Back when I worked at a body shop, we used those all the time to get adhesive off of cars. Leaves the paint perfectly intact and it's really fast.

What I did was what you said. I pulled it off, scraped with a putty knife and wasn't worried about scrathes because when I was done I cleaned it up, masked it off and primed then painted black

What I did was what you said. I pulled it off, scraped with a putty knife and wasn't worried about scrathes because when I was done I cleaned it up, masked it off and primed then painted black

=) if i knew i was going to rhyno line my sides... i'd do that too, but im not so sure when i'll be doing that... i may just save myself the troubles of pulling it off now and wait to do the sides and do it at the same time, im pretty sure their going to want to rough up the sides anyways

3M (and I'm sure some other companies) make a rubber adhesive removal attachment for die grinders. It basically looks like a giant cylindrical gummy eraser. Back when I worked at a body shop, we used those all the time to get adhesive off of cars. Leaves the paint perfectly intact and it's really fast.

I used one of those yesterday to remove the double sided tape that held my side molding on. This one fit on a cordless drill. It worked great. Left no trace on the paint whatsoever.

get a heatgun, and warm the molding ( be careful not to melt the molding or paint), then just pull it off.

You will probably still have some of the foam double-sided tape stuck to the jeep. use the same heatgun to warm the adhesive, and just pull it off. If some does not want to come off then use a nylon scraper to scrape off the bulk of it, and use adhesive remover for the rest.

heatgun:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96289

I also bought my nylon scraper there too, couldn't find a link.

Back